Zoo Pics CnC Welcome

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by klotzishere20, Jun 13, 2010.

1. klotzishere20

klotzishere20 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No tripod was used in these photos (Head broke).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. misstwinklytoes

misstwinklytoes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice!

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I dont like them.

There is a lack of contrast in alot of the images, probably due to shooting through glass.
    They also seem somewhat over exposed.

The ducks are out of focus, the framing on the pellican is a bit off IMO, I would of preferred seeing the whole beek

The strongest image is the first, but I would of liked to see those bottom paws in the image

4. klotzishere20

klotzishere20 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, I love honesty.
    But it wasnt glass, it was rope for the 2 cats and the hawk.
    What F should I use to get all those cygnets in focus?
    All these pictures are raw, no cropping or photoshop yet.

5. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To get all the cygnets sharp, you should use a smaller aperture (so larger number on your camera) to increase the depth of field.

It is clear that your camera focused on the cygnet on the top left of your frame. If a smaller aperture is not an option, it is always better to get the items/animals/people in the forground in focus. The ones in the background are less important.;)

6. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, so not sure why there is a lack of contrast then. What gear are you using?
    As said, use a small aperture to get a bigger depth of field. Something in the f/8 to f/11 range, maybe slightly more depending on the available light. If you are shooting at f/2.8, then you'll get the focus on what you are aiming for, but your plane of focus is so small that the duck near it will be out of focus.

Its great that they are raw, but they are incomplete. RAW to me is that I am doing all the processing on the image instead of letting the camera do it. But I have to do this processing, I just don't leave them as RAW. RAW is incomplete until they are processed.

I'd suggest taking the time to crop and process your images prior to posting so people can give more complete comments. Commenting on unfinished work is pretty much a waste of time for everyone involved

7. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You should open your own thread, so people can comment on them seperately. Now they might get confused with the pictures of first poster.

I do like the leopard. Its very sharp and has nice colours. I am not very fond of the peacock.

8. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    huh?

9. hamishmarshal

hamishmarshal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is some thing which inspire a person to do some wonderful photogrphy and it is the only nature. In the nature every one has the same right to live but the condition is to that on the center there should be love and nothing. Nice one keep doing such a good photo shoot.

10. klotzishere20

klotzishere20 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am using the T1i with a 400mm 2.8. If I use the 1.4x its 2 hard to keep it stable without using a tripod. I usually shoot in Av and I keep forgetting that I have to change it. When I first started shooting I just had the little lens that came with it and I never really had to do any of that. I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D depending how many freelance jobs I get over the school year.
    I missed my chance with these cute baby raccoons that were on the road the other night. Got back and realized that I was shooting in 4 or 2.8 the whole time and only one was in focus.
    I'm still pretty new and need a lot more practice I know. I need to start working in photoshop a little more. I've had a few classes but I still don't feel as comfortable as I should be.

11. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice gear set for someone who is new...I've got lens envy :)

No reason for the lack of contrast. I'm thinking its a user error in metering or exposing, not the gear's fault

It might be heavy, but consider a monopod over a tripod, as you can be more mobile with one.

You should be able to nail nice exposures with your gear without upgrading to a 7D. While its a great body (recently picked one up myself), dont think that the body will fix the exposure issues you are getting. :)

Keep on shooting

12. ghache

ghache TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I kinda like the lack of contrast and de DOF in the cougar(?) picture, i like the color tones.
    well done.