Zoom Burst with a Twist

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive already posted these in the general gallery but im looking for feedback on just these 2 images
i came up with this idea 2 days ago and im wondering if anyone else has thought of it, and if they have any other suggestions or ideas for it
basically its like zoom burst except you keep the lens straight and steady and twist the camera to adjust the focal length, rather than rotate the lens
im calling it Twist Burst =P
ZoomTwist1.jpg

ZoomTwist2.jpg

thanks for looking =P

You should also try using rear-curtain flash while you do this to freeze your subject to still keep it recognizable. I did this at a mountain bike race and the strobes kept the rider tack sharp while the background was doing this twist.

Ive done that before. NEVER came out as cool as yours though. LOVE the first one, good job!

I did this a long time ago at a racetrack - I saw some shots in some European Formula One racing magazine and had to try it out.

All of my shots sucked - they were too shaky and indecipherable.

I'm with JimmyO, I rather like the first one. I have to say about the second one, though, even though I can't really see the subject it shows that you have a very solid technique: the spirals are smooth and even, no "jaggies" in the traces around the frame. Nicely done.

You should also try using rear-curtain flash while you do this to freeze your subject to still keep it recognizable. I did this at a mountain bike race and the strobes kept the rider tack sharp while the background was doing this twist.
sweet ill look into that

thanks =P

Ive done that before. NEVER came out as cool as yours though. LOVE the first one, good job!

thanks hahah =P

I have to say about the second one, though, even though I can't really see the subject it shows that you have a very solid technique: the spirals are smooth and even, no "jaggies" in the traces around the frame. Nicely done.

i use my 18-55mm in 1/10 of a second so theres not a whole lot of shake opportunity =P

thanks =D

I never thought about rotating the camera while i keep the lens straight. Thank you for sharing. It'll be intersting to try

Yup, thought of and did it several times. I'll give you credit if you thought of doing this yourself though... shows some imagination!

nice! and a good subject for this sort of experiment

yeah you should read understanding exposure and shutter speed by bryan peterson. he talks about this technique in the book. Its a pretty cool effect but deffinitly a good read.

That's really trippy, I like it a lot! I'm gonna have to give this a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back