Zoom Effect

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by benjyman345, Jan 5, 2007.

1. benjyman345

benjyman345 TPF Noob!

hello,

I was wondering if anyone can give me tips and help on how to achieve the zoom effect. Where you zoom the lens in while exposing the picture.

Here is an example from flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/espionic/139402987/

I know this image has been edited in photoshop to achieve this result but i would like to achieve this same kind of result using the old film technique :p

I have a 70-210mm lens... is this adequete?
    How do i achieve a crisp perfect focal area while creating a zoomed effect in the background?

Thanks

2. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

I haven't tried this myself, but at a guess... You would want your camera to be very on a very stable mount (heavy & weighted tripod). Use a 1-2 second exposure with appropriate f-stop and a neutral density filter if necessary.

3. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think an effect that shows so much detail in the "zoomed" area can only be achieved by using Photoshop otherwise the rest of the crowd would just be a blur.

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You won't get a sharp center doing this with a zoom lens. Every part of the image changes when you move the lens. The center will be the area you see the clearest, but there will still be a halo effect. If you want to improve the sharpness, pause the zoom at the widest point before the shutter closes. This will allow the subject to burn in when it is the smallest. I'd start wide, open the shutter, wait just a moment, then smoothly zoom in until the shutter closes.

5. John_05

John_05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ive wondered about that effect too, but never found time to post when i thought about it.

what differences would there be if instead of zooming in, you zoomed out instead?

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No difference. It's just easier to pause at the beginning than to try and time when the shutter is going to close. You could pause when zoomed in, but rather than a somewhat sharp center subject with a halo, you'd have a subject with blur "inside". Just depends on what you want.

7. John_05

John_05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the tip. ill try it both ways and see what i come up with.

8. benjyman345

benjyman345 TPF Noob!

It would be good to see how you go. Maybe you could post a few pics you tried out?

9. John_05

John_05 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i will probably have one or 2 to post tomorrow. i have a couple ideas, so im going to try them soon. knowing how things go when i try new things, ill probably have to post them in the bloopers section. :lmao:

ill let you know when i have something to post either way.

10. Thor the Mighty

Thor the Mighty TPF Noob!

i did this a little while ago and its not too hard at all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i was using film so theres no way to tell if you did it right off the bat so just mess around a few times.

have a good tripod and set your shot up keeping in mind that you're going to be zooming. you COULD put it on bulb and like f/32 and zoom one subject, put your hand over the lens, and go to another and have a multiple exposure (i love doing those) but just start out with one object, and make sure you compose correctly. i suggest starting out wide angle and zooming in on the subject to start with but you can always be zoomed in and go wide at the end.

you have to keep in mind that you can keep stationed on one focal length for a greater time period than another, so some parts are clearly defined and some are simply zoomed normally.

11. benjyman345

benjyman345 TPF Noob!

great shots!
    I assume you used a small aperture (F16-32) for these shots?

12. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1/8s f/ 3.5 ISO 400

Just a quick something I did messing around. no post processing.

[​IMG]