Zoom in or get nearer to object

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by adikrist, Aug 1, 2010.

1. adikrist

adikrist TPF Noob!

I am wondering what method makes better image.. zoom or walk nearer to the object? What would be the differences?
    My camera has zoom lens 18-200mm..

Thanks,

2. ShutterSpeed

ShutterSpeed TPF Noob!

Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    for image quality...get closer...the movement of the glass changes the quality of the image as you zoom in..in some cases.

for depth of field..zoom in.
    zooming in from a distance creates a more narrow depth of field that really distinguishes your main subject better.

3. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe zoom is intended to reach where you cant.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It depends what the subject is, and how you want all the elements in the scene composed.

Zooming will compress the depth-of-field, but there is also more air between you and the subject so you give up a small bit of detail.

An 18-200 mm lense have a variable aperture so aperture will also change as you zoom or not zoom if you are trying to use the lens wide open, which will also effect DOF and focus.

6. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It also depends on your lens. Most long zooms get soft at their longest setting so I try to avoid it unless I physically cannot get any closer. Also, as others stated, it depends how you want the scene and subject to look. For instance, with a wide angle zoom like say a 16-50mm or so, if you get close to the subject and shoot wide, its going to make the subject look that much more imposing. So if its a big crazy looking tree, or a statue, it will look like its looming over the background. If you shoot the same scene at 50mm the background and forground would have less of a drastic difference of perspective. PLUS you have the DOF issues. I like shooting from a good distance with my long zoom because it typically ALWAYS gives me a nice short DOF on bird shots and what not. If I got closer (without having a really fast expensive zoom ) I would be revealing more and more of the busy background.

On a side note, one of my first lenses was a Tokina 12-24 cause I was told its a must for landscapes. I had not yet learned or understood how to use it in the method listed above when wanting to exaggerate the subject that is very close to the lens. Needless to say, I sold it because I never had trouble getting distant mountains in the frame and figured that was all it was good for. Now I wish I hadn't.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Nt really its only intention. Zooming in and out (changing focal length) also changes the way space and distance is portrayed. Longer the focal lengths compress and shorter focal lengths expand.

As such... zooming in and taking a picture and getting nearer to the subject with a shorter focal length will produce different pictures.

8. adikrist

adikrist TPF Noob!

In your sample picture, it looks that zooming in make the image brighter? is it so? (image at 18mm is darker than at 55mm)

9. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always get closer to get the best picture. I have zoom lenses and I get good shots with them somtimes but I always get the shot when I get close. One thing helps me is macro filters. They come in +1, +2, +4, and +10 but +2 and +4 are my favorites and you can use them on your 18 - 200. I have gotten great face shots of poeple with my +4 and good macros with it. It may just be me but a shorter lense seems to have a way greater depth of field than does a longer lense so you get more in focus.

10. adikrist

adikrist TPF Noob!

I mean, besides zooming in or get nearer to object will make different kind of pictures, are there any basic rules, such as: zoom in make the background more blur and less details of the object..?

11. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you actually read any of what was posted above?

12. Bryce

Bryce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea,whats the deal? That guy read nothing or atleast understands nothing. Every thing he wanted was up there.