Zoom Lens Quandary

Sobek5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
community.webshots.com
I'm looking to purchase a zoom lens and had narrowed it down to the Canon EF 70 - 300 f/4 - 5.6 IS USM Tele Zoom. Then, while on B&H's site today, I came across the Canon EF 70 - 200 f/4.0L Tele Zoom, at only 10 dollars more than the former. What are people's thoughts on these lenses? I know that the L series lenses are the top of the line with Canon, so its enticing, yet I would loose the image stabilization of the 70 - 300.

Any thoughts?

Well the 70-200 f4 will be faster in action shots and low light, but the IS is handy, esp at 300mm (which is closer to 450mm if you consider crop factor on your camera ((unless you have a 5D of course)))). So most of the time you should be using a tripod/monopod. And if it were me I would grab the L glass. What are you shooting you need that much reach for?

Birds, ground mammals, basically nature photography. As you probably know, having that reach makes it all the easier to get the shots and give you the ability to crop out parts of the scene you don't like.

After seeing the L lens i started leaning towards it because I do use a 30D and it will still provide me with over 300mm estimated distance. The better quality glass is a plus too. I have heard nice things about IS though, so if anyone has one of those feel free to drop me some info. Thanks Nick.

You can get IS in the f4 and f2.8 70-200 but of course you pay for it. I think if you could sprint for the IS f4 has your mostly shooting outdoors that would be your best bet.

Nice TJ by the way!

Get the L. Quality is better

Look at ti this way. There is a reason Canon threw that L on the lens. It is sharper at all lengths, faster, constant aperture at all lengths, and they say having an actual stop of extra aperture is better than a system that makes up for stops that aren't there.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and thanks on the vehicle compliment Nick. I put alot of hours into that thing. ;)

No problem let us know how you make out!!

I have a 2004 Sport waiting for a build up, I can relate to the lots of hours, blood and tears!

Most reactions

Back