Zoom Lens vs Prime Lens

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it better to have zoom lens or prime lens for street photography?

Would you use the Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S f/4-5.6G ED or the Nikkor 85mm AF f/1.8D?

A prime lens will give you very slightly better quality but a zoom is far more flexible for street shooting. It depends on your style of street shooting as to which lens would be best. If you like to be fairly close and shoot at night as well as during the day, then the Nikkor 85mm AF f. 1.8D would be best. If on the other hand, you like to back off a bit and shoot from the other side of the street, a bridge, restaurant or other building, then the 55 to 200mm f. 4.5 to 5.6 would be more useful. You would not however be able to use this lens very well at night unless the lighting was quite good.

Hope this helps.

skieur

I would actually like to shoot at at least 5 meter away.

You know, street photography is mostly about getting close, not peeping from afar. :) Well, unless you're a paparazzi.
I'd consider even something like 35mm or 50mm, but from these two you mentioned (85 vs 55-200), I'd take 85. 85 gives you the possibility to shoot in low-light while capturing the action and you don't have to be that far to capture the person/situation.
If you need flexibility, there's always the option to pick 24-70 2.8 for instance.

How far away would you stand if you were using the 85mm if you are filling your subject (portrait) into 1/4 of the picture?

Then I would go with the 55 to 200mm. Close-in only works if you take the shot before they spot the camera. Once they spot the camera the shot loses its "naturalness" Moreover, a longer zoom makes it more difficult for the general public to know who you are taking a photo of.

skieur

Then I would go with the 55 to 200mm. Close-in only works if you take the shot before they spot the camera. Once they spot the camera the shot loses its "naturalness" Moreover, a longer zoom makes it more difficult for the general public to know who you are taking a photo of.

skieur
Longer lens makes you a more visible person because of the size of the lens. Try looking at some tips about street photography, for instance
21 street photography tips from the professionals | PhotoRadar

Especially this part
article said:
20. What type of lens to use for street photography
Using a long lens isn’t a good option as it isolates a subject from its environment and produces a very different type of shot to traditional street photography. Many interesting situations in the street involve more than one or two subjects, so that should be a major consideration when deciding how much of a scene you include in your pictures. Long-lens shots don’t allow for a wider, more intimate viewpoint, and the vast majority of memorable street work has been shot with lenses between 28mm and 50mm.

In his book Learning To See Creatively, Bryan Peterson states in the chapter on street zooms.... "I've been asked on more than one occassion which one lens I could not live without. My answer is always the same. It's my well-worn Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8." He is obviously refering to using a full frame camera, so take into account your camera sensors' crop factor.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So a 24mm and 50mm on a DX body is more than enough?

would be for me

A street photographer I met once who liked to work fairly close used a wide-angle lens (24, I think). He said he wanted to make sure he got everything he wanted in the frame without taking extra time to frame and maybe missing the shot. He then cropped out what he didn't want.

Most reactions

Back