Zoom Lens

peski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rpmgraphics.net
I have been using a Quantaray 70-300 zoom lens on my old EOS Rebel G SLR. Getting a Rebel XS DSLR, can I still use the old zoom lens or do I need a zoom lens specifically for DSLR?

as long as the mount is the same it shouldnt be an issue. The sensor on the dSLR is smaller than the film would be so you may end up with a ring around your images from that fact.

Don't listen to MGW, he doesn't know what he is talking about. You have to take into account the crop factor, it will make your lens seem to have more tele. You will be perfectly fine if it is the same mount. Check and see if it will have autofocus,metering. Canon should have something like a chart. Otherwise you are fine, be sure to post your results! :)

Alex, that was a pretty rude response.

However, it is true, and it would have misled the op. Besides, I provided the correct information.

Nothing wrong with posting a correction, but saying "Don't listen to MGW, he doesn't know what he is talking about" is entirely inappropriate. I'm surprised the mods aren't on your case. This is a very civilized forum and flaming is not tolerated.

That is hardly a flame, I am informing the op that MGW is not knowledgeable on the subject, and should not give incorrect advice to a beginner.

Alex, I don't want to hijack this thread any further so if you want to discuss beyond this we can do it in PM.

To the OP, any lens that works on a 35mm film camera or full frame DSLR will work fine on a cropped frame camera, as long as the mount is the same.

I have been using a Quantaray 70-300 zoom lens on my old EOS Rebel G SLR. Getting a Rebel XS DSLR, can I still use the old zoom lens or do I need a zoom lens specifically for DSLR?
The Rebel G SLR uses the Canon EF lens mount so your Quantaray should work fine on a Rebel XS...it works with EF and EF-S lenses.

Blah Blah Blah there is always someone that has to be rude. I have the same lens for my pentax. I like it a lot and is a great macro and portrait lens. Have fun with the new slr.

Most reactions

Back