Zoom lense for D700???

VIII

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just moved to the beach and am lacking a good zoom lens for my D700. Getting shots of surfers, jet skiers and the occasional para-sailor is difficult with my 24-70mm (obviously) but it seems that the more I research the more complicated choosing the right lens gets!

I'm torn between:

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-S, Nikon 70-300mm VR, and Nikon 80-400mm VR

Of course, the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 is an option but I'd prefer not to spend that much on a lens right now!

Any suggestions of advice would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

You will want as much reach as you can afford.

The D700 being having an FX sensor, you lose the 1.5 crop factor.

Someone using a APS-C sensor, and a 300 mm lens, gets the same FOV you get from a more expensive 450 mm lens.

Not sure if you consider this option, but if you are willing to consider 3rd party manufacturers, Sigma offers a lot of long zoom lens. I personally own a Sigma 150-500 and I'm pretty pleased about it. You won't achieve perfect sharpness like a fixed Nikon telephoto, but It gives you reach, zoom flexibility and decent sharpness (stopped down to f8 to f11, but beach means lots of sun to me) at an honest price. Might be an option to consider.

Thanks! I've narrowed my choices down to the 80-200 and the 80-400 (a little worried about the aperture on the later) the sigma and tamron lenses seem like good options but, of course, i am skeptical about off-brand lenses. Granted, I know many people with them and they swear by them... I just dont know if I can invest in something that isn't the "real deal" if you catch my drift... (I'm by no means closed minded, though, and am willing to try anything once)

Marc-Etienne bought that Sigma 150-500 from me. For the price, it's a tough lens to beat. I used it on a crop sensor camera to shoot an adult soccer league, so to get the same FOV on your D700 you would need a 750 mm lens.

Believe me, for the kind of shots you want to get, you will need as much reach as you can get. In the Nikon lineup I would recommend looking at the 600 mm focal length.

I replaced the Sigma 150-500 with a like new, used, Nikon 200-400 f/4 I got at a firesale price of only $4000. Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon 500mm f/4.0G ED VR AF-S SWM Super Telephoto Lens for Nikon FX and DX Format Digital SLR

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Nikon 600mm f/4.0G ED VR II AF-S SWM Super Telephoto Lens for Nikon FX and DX Format Digital SLR

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, if you can get your hand on one to try it out to make sure it is a sharp copy, I would consider it. You are right about Sigma, I've heard critique about bad copies, but to give you an example here are my last shots with that lens. I shoot with a D90 which is far from having the ISO capabilities of your D700. Also like Keith said, 80-200mm, won't be enough for sure. I first shot with a 200mm (on a crop sensor) and I soon outgrown it and needed longer. Ok my subjects are a little smaller, but it was the equivalent of a 300mm on your D700. Anyway, it is my advice. I hope you find something that suits your needs. You'll have to show us some results after you'll have made you mind!

Most reactions

Back