1.6X crop

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think i've seen a similar thread before, but not sure where it went.

If I have a camera, such as the Rebel XTi, with a 1.6X field of view crop and a Canon 5D with a 1x crop and both have the same lens. Will the 1.6x crop field of view be "magnified" and more zoomed-in at any given focal length compared to the 1x crop? Or will the image just be smaller?

I think i've seen a similar thread before, but not sure where it went.

If I have a camera, such as the Rebel XTi, with a 1.6X field of view crop and a Canon 5D with a 1x crop and both have the same lens. Will the 1.6x crop field of view be "magnified" and more zoomed-in at any given focal length compared to the 1x crop? Or will the image just be smaller?

The image will be magnified. Just multiply your focal length by the crop factor and you have your equivalent focal length to what we consider standard on a 35mm. This won't effect the resolution.

So larger sensor sizes on DSLR's aren't better in every way right? If you want more zoom on your telephoto lens you can just mount it onto a camera with a 1.6x crop of view to magnify the image right?

So larger sensor sizes on DSLR's aren't better in every way right?

It depends if you call the image being more magnified 'better'. Full frame sensors are considered to have more positives than cropped ones in general though i believe.

If you want more zoom on your telephoto lens you can just mount it onto a camera with a 1.6x crop of view to magnify the image right?

Yes, that is correct. For example, a 70-200 would become 112-320 ish.

You don't actually get more magnification...you get the same amount of magnification...but with an XTi (for example) the edges of the image (from the lens) are cropped and not recorded by the smaller sensor.

Small distinction maybe...but there you have it.

What does change is the FOV (Field of View). So when you use a 'crop body', your FOV will be narrower than it would be on a 35mm film or full frame digital (5D).

Whoa, that's a big difference from what was previously said.

So with a 1.5x camera, my 50mm lens will have the same FOV as a 75mm lens on a full-frame, but it will lack the magnification and reach provided by the 75mm on a full frame?

Kind of, but imagine what the sensor sees on a full frame, then picture a cropped sensor on top, the edges are lost, but the image appears zoomed in because what it sees is still a 'full image' across the sensor.

Hard to explain !

With a 50mm lens...The image on the sensor vs the image on a piece of film (or full frame sensor) will be the same size...hence the magnification is the same.

However, because the cropped image has a narrower FOV..if feels more 'zoomed in'.

On the other hand, if the full-frame and half-framed sensors have the same megapixels size (D3 vs D300), then the half-frame will be magnified once blown up to 100% size on a computer monitor compared to the full-frame at 100%

An advantage to the cropped sensors is for telephoto use. If you're looking to get the maximum number of pixels on a distance object, then the higher pixel density of the cropped sensors gives you an advantage, as long as you can work with their limitations in other areas.

Would using a 1.5X cropped sensor be better or worse than using a full frame with a 1.5x teleconverter when striving for image quality?

It'll depend on the lens you're using and not the body.

Most reactions

Back