#1 Scouting for a setup

Chicken Thighs Wrapped In Bacon With A Honey & Dijon Glaze
Looking at your recipe I must tell you something doesn't look kosher to me :biglaugh:

On Facebook my posts are public except when they are not kosher.

Then I use a non-kosher group.

My book is really about tips trick and substitutes but it has recipes.

If I made it Kosher I could only see a few books.

Not worried about making a profit but really wanting to help newbie cooks who believe they can't cook.

Would be nice to cover the costs.

But I got your thrust ;-)
All in good humor :)
I wish you lot of luck on your quest.
I myself on a quest too, to get semi pro and I have a long way to go but MAN, this is exciting times for me :)

Good luck!

I knew you were kidding.

Only been doing photography for a few months so it's a big learning curve.

Even learning how to operate the camera.

Lighting is a whole new thing.

Carry on and have fun because enjoying it should be what it's really about.

I still don't like the tripod, soft box and reflector but I will adapt to them.

They can't adapt to me ;-)

As for colors... do you have a "color calibrated" monitor? (e.g. do you own a tool such as an X-Rite ColorMunki or a Datacolor Spyder?) If not, invest in one of those. Several years back when I started shooting digital my monitor was a bit too "cool" (colors on the monitor were bluer then they really were) and I would adjust to make my photos look correct to me. But when I shared them, that meant that other people were seeing images that were much to warm (skin tones were coming out orange.) Now I have a color calibrated monitor and that's no longer a problem. It also means when I send photos to a proper lab I don't have to be surprised when the color come back up looking nothing like I expected.

Compositionally... I prefer the lower angle to the higher "nearly top-down" view of a plate.

The reason I mentioned in a previous thread to think about what your subject is (in this case it needs to be the chicken) is because the photo should feature that item. We all know and broccoli look like. I might go a bit tighter on the chicken and leave the broccoli and rice in the background (and don't worry about cropping out half the plate / broccoli / rice -- it's not the feature.)

Since you marked your profile as "ok to edit", I did a crop on your image just to give you an idea of what I mean:

chicken wrapped in bacon.jpg

If you want to feature the chicken then..... FEATURE the chicken! (Notice in this crop that I really don't care about the broccoli and rice. We all know what broccoli and rice look like and they aren't the stars of the plate. Just a hint of them is enough. So crop away!)

Is there a sauce for that chicken? If so, sauce the plate (not the food) so that the chicken is resting in a bit of sauce. It looks like there might be a bit of a sauce under the chicken, but I can't see it.

Consider the placement of the chicken. Can you place one piece on the plate, and the other piece rotated 90º and leaning on the 1st piece? Should you cut into a piece and expose the inside? (The chicken needs to look moist -- so if the insides can help convey the sense of moist chicken instead of dry chicken then consider that possibility.) These are all thoughts you might consider. This is what a food stylist does. Think "interior decorator"... except for your plate of food and place setting instead of for your home. Speaking of place setting, I only bother to show the place setting if there's something worth showing off. Food photographers will keep an eye out for attractive vessels and utensils... of various shapes and made of various materials. That extends to table coverings, napkins, towels, of various colors, materials, textures, etc.

You are trying to convey a mood. Shooting something lemony? Maybe you should consider bright whites and yellows. Shooting comfort foods such as a thick stew with a crusty heel of flour-dusted bread? Maybe you want earthen-ware or wood to go with it. You get the idea.

Food is tricky when it's real food because the timing for the photo can make a big difference. When I shoot food, I grab a stand-in (last time my "stand-in" was a bowl of fruit) and I used that to get the table styling and lighting to my liking. Once I was happy with those shots, I removed the stand-in and replaced it with the real food (the ideal piece of the food you intend to shoot is called the "hero" and that means you might cook up several pieces of the chicken but just one or two pieces look more photogenic than the rest.) A major part of the timing is that there's this ideal moment when the food is plated and things look moist & steamy... vs. just a minute or two later when it starts to look dry and as if it's been on the plate for hours.

Thanks for the comments.
I'm trying to take them all on board.
Lighting is taking 80% of my attention right now and when I get that somewhat under control I will focus more on content.

I just posted a new image.

What do you think?

I think you're getting much much closer to some food shots that will make you happy. The latest feels much less like a standard family dinner and much closer to an appetizing fancy restaurant meal. TCampbell obviously has some great stuff, but from the latest one you shot, you're well on your way to some really good looking stuff.

The lighting looked great, the plate didn't look hugely blown out, and even the placemat wasn't bothersome or anything. A few more steps closer to your end goal, keep on going!

Edit: I did want to mention I still felt like the plate was a bit broccoli heavy. Maybe it's just cause I don't like broccoli, who knows.

This! Dial back the yellow channel a tad, lose the broccoli at the bottom and spread the remaining food out a little more, and you'll be there.

don't know... just an on-looker here.
Thanks for the comments.
Lighting is taking 80% of my attention right now and when I get that somewhat under control I will focus more on content.

What do you think?

I think ........ lighting is superfluous

no lighting equipment !

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

As for colors... do you have a "color calibrated" monitor? (e.g. do you own a tool such as an X-Rite ColorMunki or a Datacolor Spyder?) If not, invest in one of those. Several years back when I started shooting digital my monitor was a bit too "cool" (colors on the monitor were bluer then they really were) and I would adjust to make my photos look correct to me. But when I shared them, that meant that other people were seeing images that were much to warm (skin tones were coming out orange.) Now I have a color calibrated monitor and that's no longer a problem. It also means when I send photos to a proper lab I don't have to be surprised when the color come back up looking nothing like I expected.

Compositionally... I prefer the lower angle to the higher "nearly top-down" view of a plate.

The reason I mentioned in a previous thread to think about what your subject is (in this case it needs to be the chicken) is because the photo should feature that item. We all know and broccoli look like. I might go a bit tighter on the chicken and leave the broccoli and rice in the background (and don't worry about cropping out half the plate / broccoli / rice -- it's not the feature.)

Since you marked your profile as "ok to edit", I did a crop on your image just to give you an idea of what I mean:

View attachment 111315

If you want to feature the chicken then..... FEATURE the chicken! (Notice in this crop that I really don't care about the broccoli and rice. We all know what broccoli and rice look like and they aren't the stars of the plate. Just a hint of them is enough. So crop away!)

Is there a sauce for that chicken? If so, sauce the plate (not the food) so that the chicken is resting in a bit of sauce. It looks like there might be a bit of a sauce under the chicken, but I can't see it.

Consider the placement of the chicken. Can you place one piece on the plate, and the other piece rotated 90º and leaning on the 1st piece? Should you cut into a piece and expose the inside? (The chicken needs to look moist -- so if the insides can help convey the sense of moist chicken instead of dry chicken then consider that possibility.) These are all thoughts you might consider. This is what a food stylist does. Think "interior decorator"... except for your plate of food and place setting instead of for your home. Speaking of place setting, I only bother to show the place setting if there's something worth showing off. Food photographers will keep an eye out for attractive vessels and utensils... of various shapes and made of various materials. That extends to table coverings, napkins, towels, of various colors, materials, textures, etc.

You are trying to convey a mood. Shooting something lemony? Maybe you should consider bright whites and yellows. Shooting comfort foods such as a thick stew with a crusty heel of flour-dusted bread? Maybe you want earthen-ware or wood to go with it. You get the idea.

Food is tricky when it's real food because the timing for the photo can make a big difference. When I shoot food, I grab a stand-in (last time my "stand-in" was a bowl of fruit) and I used that to get the table styling and lighting to my liking. Once I was happy with those shots, I removed the stand-in and replaced it with the real food (the ideal piece of the food you intend to shoot is called the "hero" and that means you might cook up several pieces of the chicken but just one or two pieces look more photogenic than the rest.) A major part of the timing is that there's this ideal moment when the food is plated and things look moist & steamy... vs. just a minute or two later when it starts to look dry and as if it's been on the plate for hours.

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed and helpful advice!

I do have a Spyder and checked with it about a week ago.

My biggest color issue is that my photos from the D3300 seem to have to much orange and yellow.

Cooked food is so challenging to photograph because the food and the image have to be right.

I cooked the same meal the day before and the food itself looked better.

Michael

cropped-chicken wrapped in bacon-2.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

What do you think?

I think you're getting much much closer to some food shots that will make you happy. The latest feels much less like a standard family dinner and much closer to an appetizing fancy restaurant meal. TCampbell obviously has some great stuff, but from the latest one you shot, you're well on your way to some really good looking stuff.

The lighting looked great, the plate didn't look hugely blown out, and even the placemat wasn't bothersome or anything. A few more steps closer to your end goal, keep on going!

Edit: I did want to mention I still felt like the plate was a bit broccoli heavy. Maybe it's just cause I don't like broccoli, who knows.
Thanks for the encouragement!

@TCampbell

Thinking and trying one of the things that you suggested today, I tried a quick test with my phone.

Close in on the main object, a grilled pork chop with apples and onions, and don't worry about the rice and beans etc.

The apples had been cooked so the skins were no longer red.

Anyway, it now looks as if I'm featuring the apples and onions.

How could I angle this to feature the chop?

Thanks to anybody that replies.

* I just remembered not to post photos in the beginners forum but I don't know if I can move the thread?
chop with apples and onion.jpg

Maybe put the food on a glass plate and shoot pointing up, but I don't like that idea very much because the plate would distort.

And I would have to put the glass plate on a glass shelf or put the food on a glass shelf which I don't have.

Am I missing an obvious answer?

Thanks

Maybe put the food on a glass plate and shoot pointing up, but I don't like that idea very much because the plate would distort.

And I would have to put the glass plate on a glass shelf or put the food on a glass shelf which I don't have.

Am I missing an obvious answer?

Thanks

yes, you are missing some obvious answers --- your photo appears soft (not properly focused), it looks underexposed (dark) , the colors look off,

perhaps next time use a camera other than a cell phone
or move the food closer to a light source like a window or use a flash

food by c w, on Flickr

food by c w, on Flickr

Last edited:
@TCampbell

Thinking and trying one of the things that you suggested today, I tried a quick test with my phone.

Close in on the main object, a grilled pork chop with apples and onions, and don't worry about the rice and beans etc.

* I just remembered not to post photos in the beginners forum but I don't know if I can move the thread?
View attachment 111387

Was that last shot a cellphone picture or did you use your camera? I'm noticing one of the bits of apple toward the right third of the frame is focused, but everything else is soft. If using a cellphone there's probably not much you can do about that. If using your regular camera you'll need to bump up the f-stop to increase the depth of field.

Everything seems to have a dull yellow color-cast and the color in the food seems faded (as if the food has had all the color cooked out of it.)

When I do the my food shots, the camera is on a tripod and there's a USB tethering cable attached to my laptop on a nearby table. I'm reviewing the images on the large screen of my laptop and I'm scrutinizing for fine details in composition, focus, reflections, lighting, etc. I can fix white balance and color saturation later, but the rest of the details need to be right at the time of capture.

Food photography has challenges both on the "cooking" end of things (how to cook the food so that it looks particularly appetizing) and then again on the photography side of things and I'm counting both the food styling (how it's plated and arranged, selection of place setting, etc.) as well as how it's shot (angle of view, composition, etc.) and then all the post processing. It's a lot to fuss over.

When I compose food, I switch off automatic focus and control focus manually. I recently started using a new program called Kuuvik Capture which supports "focus peaking". It puts the camera into a live-view mode and causes the in-focus areas to seem to sparkle -- making it rather easy to tell what is and is not focused. Using this feature makes it easier to be sure that the areas of focus that are important are properly focused.

After the photography session, you'll need some good software to work on image processing. Lightroom can make short work of the processing by quickly fixing the white balance, contrast, exposure, highlights & shadows. Lightroom has the ability to let you "brush on" adjustments. So... if just _some_ of the food elements could use a saturation boost, you can selectively brighten up (for example) the vegetables, without effecting color saturation everywhere else (which would probably just result in something that looks over-processed.)

@TCampbell

View attachment 111387

Was that last shot a cellphone picture or did you use your camera? I'm noticing one of the bits of apple toward the right third of the frame is focused, but everything else is soft. If using a cellphone there's probably not much you can do about that. If using your regular camera you'll need to bump up the f-stop to increase the depth of field.

Everything seems to have a dull yellow color-cast and the color in the food seems faded (as if the food has had all the color cooked out of it.)

When I do the my food shots, the camera is on a tripod and there's a USB tethering cable attached to my laptop on a nearby table. I'm reviewing the images on the large screen of my laptop and I'm scrutinizing for fine details in composition, focus, reflections, lighting, etc. I can fix white balance and color saturation later, but the rest of the details need to be right at the time of capture.

Food photography has challenges both on the "cooking" end of things (how to cook the food so that it looks particularly appetizing) and then again on the photography side of things and I'm counting both the food styling (how it's plated and arranged, selection of place setting, etc.) as well as how it's shot (angle of view, composition, etc.) and then all the post processing. It's a lot to fuss over.

When I compose food, I switch off automatic focus and control focus manually. I recently started using a new program called Kuuvik Capture which supports "focus peaking". It puts the camera into a live-view mode and causes the in-focus areas to seem to sparkle -- making it rather easy to tell what is and is not focused. Using this feature makes it easier to be sure that the areas of focus that are important are properly focused.

After the photography session, you'll need some good software to work on image processing. Lightroom can make short work of the processing by quickly fixing the white balance, contrast, exposure, highlights & shadows. Lightroom has the ability to let you "brush on" adjustments. So... if just _some_ of the food elements could use a saturation boost, you can selectively brighten up (for example) the vegetables, without effecting color saturation everywhere else (which would probably just result in something that looks over-processed.)

It was just a test using my phone.

Manual focus would be an option. I use a ten second timer right now.

Will check out Kuuvik Capture

I have LR and Photoshop. Am very familiar with PS and slowly getting better with LR

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back