10 Photos that changed the world

Very interesting to see which ones made this particular 'short list'! Before opening the link, I made a mental list of a few I expected to see on it. Three made it. Some I expected to maybe see included:
- something from Hiroshima (either the photo of the mushroom cloud, or one of the horrible aftermath),
-the famous shot of the children running in the street, one girl naked, after they were hit with napalm during the Vietnam war,
-a shot of the earth taken from one of the moon missions

Of course, I don't expect there would ever be consensus among everyone on this particular topic. Hopefully other readers of this thread will chime in with pics they maybe expected to see.

I did the same thing with the mental list ... two of them were there, and I think that there is one GLARING OMISSION ...

What about the National Geographic shot of that young Middle Eastern girl with the haunting eyes ... we all know the one, powerful, meaningful, important ...

As usual with this kind of list, I didn't expect it to be to my liking but I am even more surprised that I thought I would be.

For example, no matter how great photos they are, I don't see the portraits of Dali and Einstein changing the world while I have to agree with Antarctican: where is the photo of the mushroom cloud over Hiroshima?

I own a print of Eddie Adams photo that I used a number of times in my presentation on how images can very easily distort reality, intentionally or, as in this case, unintentionally. At least, in this list, they have the full story.

Some of the ones presented I have seen and expected.

I was surprised nothing of the depression, the bread lines, etc..

Atom bomb, first flight, cars, worker's deprevation.....

I was imagining the one of the girl standing in front of the tank.

Yup.. its the usual list... It amazes me that no one seems to remember Kevin Carter's 1950 Pulitzer prize winning photo. It is the single photo that called into question the photographer's role with morality. Some would say it haunted him to his early grave.

The Life and Death of Kevin Carter - TIME

Wow, I actually guessed that one of Ansel Adams shots would be on that list. :D

Of course these are just ten photos - there are more, it's not definitive - but I would have said:
Tiananmen Square protest (this being the famous photo)
The Trang Bang photo
The 1993 photo of the vulture and the toddler - as Usayit mentioned, though he got the date a little off - Carter wasn't even born then. ;)

Wow, I actually guessed that one of Ansel Adams shots would be on that list. :D

Let's continue this discussion....

How do you think Ansel Adams photos (I think they are outstanding btw...) have changed the world?

Remember... the topic is not on the artistic merits nor the quality of the photo but how it changed the world. In my mind, a "snapshot" taken on a disposable camera with a powerful content or message can change the world.

Last edited:
I did the same thing with the mental list ... two of them were there, and I think that there is one GLARING OMISSION ...

What about the National Geographic shot of that young Middle Eastern girl with the haunting eyes ... we all know the one, powerful, meaningful, important ...

I'm guessing you mean this image by Steve McCurry - PAKISTAN. Peshawar. 1984. Afghan Girl at Nasir Bagh refugee camp. Not Middle Eastern, but I knew instantly which one you meant.

I'm guessing you mean this image by Steve McCurry - PAKISTAN. Peshawar. 1984. Afghan Girl at Nasir Bagh refugee camp. Not Middle Eastern, but I knew instantly which one you meant.

also

NPR : 'Afghan Girl' Mystery Solved

Most reactions

New Topics

Back