100-300mm, 75-300mm

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at a lens to hold me over for sports until I hopefully get a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM for my birthday in November. I am looking at the EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM and the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. Is there a major difference between the 2 lenses as far as photo quality goes or should I just go with the cheaper one? I will be using it for sports with big fields such as football and soccer. To me the 100-300mm looks better and I have seen better reviews, but I don't intend on using either lens longer than 2, maybe 3 months.

Thanks

I have never used the 100-300mm but I was not too impressed with the 70-300mm lens. Both of the lenses are pretty slow. If I were you, I would try and borrow or rent a nice lens for the next 2 to 3 months rather than spend your money on one of the mentioned lenses.

I shot a polo match ( large outdoor field ) twice. One with a 200mm max zoom and the next year with a 400mm max zoom. 200mm still felt short so you might want to consider a match teleconverter from canon. BTW, your going to love that 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens....

I asked for a 1.4 extender with the lens. They are the only things I asked for my birthday and Christmas so if I don't get them I would be very surprised.

I've checked the camera store I have around here and they don't rent lenses out :(. The reason I'm not worried about spending $200ish on ebay for either of the lenses is they seem to hold there value pretty well. So I can use it until I get the 70-200mm and then put it back on ebay possibly making some money off the deal depending on the price I buy it.

I think I am going to go with the 100-300mm. After looking at both lenses it just seems to be built better than the 75-300mm, though not by much.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Yeah. I want to be able to get some sports shot for football and soccer this season. I can sell it on ebay making my "wasted" money prob. less than $30.

oh, well that's not too bad. i was thinking though...if you were going to get that nice lens for your bday in a couple of months, it would be pointless to buy a cheap lens that you will most likely never use after you get your new one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back