100% week

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been toying with this idea for a while now - so here goes.
For a long while I have often wondered what is an acceptable sharpness to a shot when at full size. Its something that is very hard to work out when you are not in a photographic community in person (like a photography club or course) and thus seeing the results of others at full size on a more regular basis. So I was thinking of having a week where we (as many as want to) show our shots as normal, but also unclude a 100% crop of the center of a shot in the series we are posting (or for all if you are feeling very energetic!) which would let people get a better idea of the spread of quality in fullsized shots.

I did think of just making a thread of this, but one thing dissuaded me and that was the feeling that people would only show 100% crops from their best shots - which would most likley result in us only seeing the perfect tacksharp shots

so any thoughts anyone?

Interesting idea. Would that be a 100% crop straight out of the camera without any post sharpening then?

edit: also, I included a 100% crop with my most recent photo. I demand royalty.

hehe!
darn I missed that point -- well I think direct out of camera can be missleading (with RAW about the place ;)) I think that a 100% crop from the centre from the finished edited shot would be best - but taken out just before sharpening (as its the last thing done the rest of the edit should look the same) that way we can see what sharpness people are working with in a raw sense (not to confuse raw with RAW here;))

Couple of comments...

The center is nice, but the edges is where it matters.

Sharpness is lovely, but a photograph really only shines when you print it. We can show stuff as a tiny JPG at 72 dpi (even at a 100% crop) but really what matters is the print. All this web stuff is **** in comparison.

...and finally...

Sharpness is overrated.

Hmmm..... I did not realize that word would cause asterisks....

Couple of comments...

The center is nice, but the edges is where it matters.

Sharpness is lovely, but a photograph really only shines when you print it. We can show stuff as a tiny JPG at 72 dpi (even at a 100% crop) but really what matters is the print. All this web stuff is **** in comparison.

...and finally...

Sharpness is overrated.

:thumbup:

Someone explain 100% crop to me, I see it mentioned all the time here.

My desktop resolution is 1152x864. So, if I crop the center of my photos at or less than this resolution, that would be 100% crop on my display?

Ahh but still whilst sharpness is "overrated" it is still important (else we would not all hunt for it) and web stuff is impossible to rate - because getting a shot to look sharp at 1000 pixels from most DSLRs is not hard at all.
But I chose the centre for a 100% crop as it shows the maximim potential for a shot - it shows a level of quality. Many people don't print as printing can cost and in the early stages you don't know what you can get away with on a print as opposed to on a screen - so to see what others are getting and possibly printing I think goes a long way to helping newer photographers with having confidance in what they are getting (remembering that many don't get to see the results of others in person enough)

A 100% crop is when you take a crop of a photo at its full size - so you would set the editing program to display the photo at fill size and then cut out a section which would be the crop - no downsizing for the web - hence why it has tobe a section of a shot

Well, overrated... maybe. There are two kinds of sharpness:

- the one that comes from a camera (in camera settings), well focused and from a lens of high quality

and...

- the one from a lot of aftermarket quality sharpeners like NIK software's professional quality picture sharpener.

Are you trying to discount outside of camera sharpening and have people show their in camera settings understandings, equipment ownership and technical prowess in attaining a sharp picture?

Whats the goal?

Forget the goal, what's the point? Even if the goal is to show various differences in sharpness it is as academic as MTF charts for lenses which go above the sensor range. How many people here ever take a photo, and then crop tiny segment of the dead centre out for the final?

I have seen one or two posted on here, but what happened to the rule "fill the frame". This is the same as spending a week under exposing all images by 2 stops, or spending a week only using a small portion of what our lens is good for. All you're likely to get out of this is the usual torrents of complains "it's not very sharp" or "try some noise reduction" from this forums, if it's not sharp and clean it's not a good photo mentality. :grumpy:

I have seen one or two posted on here, but what happened to the rule "fill the frame". This is the same as spending a week under exposing all images by 2 stops, or spending a week only using a small portion of what our lens is good for. All you're likely to get out of this is the usual torrents of complains "it's not very sharp" or "try some noise reduction" from this forums, if it's not sharp and clean it's not a good photo mentality. :grumpy:
I agree. I too am tired of hearing the it is a sh*t photo if it isnt tack sharp. With this kind of thinking many of the grainy photos from film are trash too or, are now.

I always figured sharpness is subjective to the artist and relative to the final product.

I'm all about watching a week of it though. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back