10000 shots spent

eydryan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eydryan.blogspot.com
can you imagine it? ten thousand shots. all digital of course, not adding the extra thou or so on film... and all in the course of what, 8 months... wow. the pitfalls of digital. 7,145 remain of the 10000+. 3000 wasted shots. hell if that were film i'd have sold my car by now. and of the 7000 4000 are unedited; unsorted;unlabeled and keyworded. hell, i don;t even know if even 100 are keyworded really... what does that lead us to? well the bottom line would be:wasted shots. clicks that meant nothing, done just for the sake of clicking. sure there are the coincidences when someone puts his arm up in exactly that second, but those are few. we're talking here of thousands of pictures!... jesus. how much waste. how much haste... i swear, if i had a nickel for all the bad shots, why i'd be a millionaire by now. :D and for the shots i never could take. 10000 shots... the number surprises and scares me really. not even the software for the camera was designed for so many pictures. at first i didn't know what went wrong, why the pictures were no longer in chronological order; and then it hit me. the little number on the bottom of the screen indicated 0001. wow... i'd reached 10000. you know it's probably nonsense to you but think about it. how would it be to pile up 10000 printed photos? just normal 10*15cm ones. man, that's a lot. and i've got a lot of brilliant shots just hidden in that folder which i rarely have time to see. i mean it does take a while to view 10000 photos.

on another note my first 00 shots (already 0500, make that 0837) have been enjoyable and i think quite nice... give'em a try: www.emaportrait.blogspot.com

and on even another note i've started my first photographical podcast, find it at: www.podcaster.go.ro and don't worry about the pop-ups they're harmless, please just use a pop-up killer or something so they don't buzz you. hope you like it, if you do i'll make more! :D

So how is your success rate?:confused:

i.e good shots/bad!:lol:

On film mine right now is probably about 1/7. on a roll of 36 exposures I'll usually get 4 or 5 I'll be really happy with. The rest I won't print and maybe re-shoot to get them better!:blushing:

in 2-3 week I'll score 10 000 pics taken with my fuji s5000... after 1,5 yr.....

yeah well on digital my success rate is unestimable but probably in the low-5% area:D

film is another thing, i even got about 60% success rate on film once. with film, well because of the cost i have to think what i'm doing first... then shoot. your success rate is good also but probably you have more money :D

hehehehe but imagine that I took about 350 pics in London, Chris... :p and this was one week only....

hahahaha yeah... Saffron Walden rate was 100% ... even more... coz I took a few pic with your camera, with Tony's... and..lol... I think that I tried everybody's camera :)

Not mine :(
You were not even remotely interested in my little compact digital :cry:
Or the Canon...

Mind, I tend to take very many digital photos myself, too. Like I took "only" some 250 in Hamburg IN ONE AFTERNOON ALONE... :roll:

I'm a high shooter. On my New Orleans trip I took 1,876 photos in 8 days. As you can see by my posts I have a hard time deciding what not to show. I shoot a lot but throw very few away, maybe from experience I know what I like when I shoot. My first D-70 is 16 months old and I have 18,000 images on it and my second D-70 is 7 months old and I have 9,000 images on it. At an average 3 day airshow I will take about a 1,000 pics and this did not change from my slide and film days.

Eric

hehehe, I'm going to brag... because this was the only time that anything like this has happened to me.. :lol:

The week I went to Germany I took around 12 rolls of 36 exp. photos. I only had to throw out 3 of the photos. :mrgreen: (and two of which I didn't take.) :lmao:

The rest I put in albums and left in stacks to let my friends sort through them. :thumbup:

That's a pretty good success rate there... ;)

I'm a perfectionist though, so normaly I won't take the photo if it's not the way I like it... :lol:

When I shot bands I would shoot up to 800 frames a night. You were at the mercy of the bands lighting, so maybe 50 were really, really good. Some weekends I shot 2 bands over 3 or 4 nights. I could easily shoot 10,000 frames in a month. Had my camera been any less of a camera, I would have worn it out long ago. We did this for almost 2 years, it got very old.
Now, on the other hand when I shot film, I still shot a lot. I had an instructor in collage that told me the photographers best friend is the trash can. Shoot 10 to 20 time more than you think you need to, and you might keep half as many as you thought. It's a rule that has served me well. At the Dayton Air Show in the mid-'80's I remember shooting 30 rolls of 36 exp. Most turned out OK, many stunning. At the time I worked for one of the main exhibitors and sponsors of the show so it was good PR for me.
As far as your cataloging problem is concerned, this is one of the biggest headaches with digital. Try to establish a good workflow that includes archiving your data and work it. Religiously! This takes discipline and resolve, but it must be done or you will loose everything when you least expect it. Good Luck.

I try to have a 1% keep rate. This keeps the quality of the keepers top notch etc. Basically ones you'd be willing to show in a gallery.

10k a month jstuedle? How many total? Looks like I have quite a few years left on my baby...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back