105mm macro lens

I plan on getting more that one flash eventually just not at the same time. When I pick up my second flash I may pickup a dual bracket as well. My only concern is the bulk and weight a setup like that would have. Do you find it difficult to use?

Not particularly. I am a holdover from the film days when gear was much heavier. I also often use it on a monopod when shooting creepy crawlies and such.

Since you own a d7000 which is fully compAtible with non-CPU lenses, why not opt for a 105mm 2.8 ais micro manual focus lens. Same great optics, and a better build quality for 1/3 the price. Vr and autofocus are unnecessary for macro photography.

That's a thought, I seem to remember someone saying that using autofocus with macro can be unpredictable due to the extreme magnification. Has anyone here experienced this? My main concern with manual focus would be trying to get shots of busy, fast moving bugs, bees ect..

I have the sigma 105 f2.8 it has some good points. good optics.the lens is flat,If you want to shoot stamps coins etc. my only nit is the lens hood screws on and you can't store it properly with the Hood reversed.well you can It's just a bit deferent. also you can change from manual to auto focus by sliding the barrel forward or back to engage the motor, some like it some don't. I liked the price...I'm cheap and don't wish to pay more for the same IQ.

Hopdaddy I think you've got a Tokina 105mm macro not a sigma - I've certainly never ecountered sigma using the barrel forward/back motion to change the AF/MF setting - sigma lenses do this the normal way with a switch just like canon ones.

Also screw-in hoods are different, but have one big bonus that if you ever use a circular polarizer you can easily screw the hood into the polarizer and you can then just turn the polarizer easily to change the amount of polarization (something you can't as easily do with bayonet hoods)

Hopdaddy I think you've got a Tokina 105mm macro not a sigma - I've certainly never ecountered sigma using the barrel forward/back motion to change the AF/MF setting - sigma lenses do this the normal way with a switch just like canon ones.

Also screw-in hoods are different, but have one big bonus that if you ever use a circular polarizer you can easily screw the hood into the polarizer and you can then just turn the polarizer easily to change the amount of polarization (something you can't as easily do with bayonet hoods)

Alex,.....I Have the Sigma..

Sigma has the push pull for sure. It's a good macro and takes great images, whether used as a macro or regular lens. I find it a bit fiddle to use, and its not really suitable for moving subjects imho. Recommend for the price me thinks

Hmmm odd - really odd I'd never picked that up before - esp since their remaining range is with the switches not the push/pull system (70mm and 150mm and 180mm all use the switches). I stand corrected

I have the tokina m100 atx pro d 100mm f2.8 macro. Love it. Around $350-400 used. Built like a tank. Like others said. Any macro lens you choose will work great. I almost never touch the focusing ring once I'm at 1:1 unless the subject doesn't fit in the frame. I just get in there and slowly move in, then click the shutter when what I want in focus, is in focus.

Since you own a d7000 which is fully compAtible with non-CPU lenses, why not opt for a 105mm 2.8 ais micro manual focus lens. Same great optics, and a better build quality for 1/3 the price. Vr and autofocus are unnecessary for macro photography.

That's a thought, I seem to remember someone saying that using autofocus with macro can be unpredictable due to the extreme magnification. Has anyone here experienced this? My main concern with manual focus would be trying to get shots of busy, fast moving bugs, bees ect..

When shooting something as small as bugs handheld, focus is typically done by just moving the camera slightly--autofocus is pointless at that level.

One thing nice about a "real" manual focus lens is that the focusing action will feel a lot better then what you find on modern AF lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back