10D - Tamron and Leica Digilux2

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a beginner, intending to buy a Canon EOS 10D. What do you think of a Tamron 28x300 lens?

OR, Do you have any suggestions?

Is Leica Digilux2 better than 10D? Ideas, sugestions and recomendations open!!

Thanks,
Daniel

I hope someone answers your questions soon because I intend to get a 10D and that Tamron lens this week!

i agree, good setup. of course i always stay away from cannon and stick with nikon

im just wondering, why a cannon 10D? there are lots of other digital slrs

dont buy a digilux 2, get a camera you can put differnt lenses on.

You have to be careful about using non-Canon lenses on the digitals. Not all of them are compatible, even if they are with the film cameras. Since it's works for vonnagy, it sounds like that won't be a problem, though.

Personally, I think the classic arguement of Canon vs. Nikon is rather silly. They are both great systems and it's hard to go wrong with either. I already owned Canon glass, so that made the decision easier for myself. Plus it handles low light better than anything else I had seen.

Have you owned an SLR before? A lot of the 10D's get returned because people are expecting the ease of a point-and-shoot, which it isn't. It has a lot of auto functions, but that can be a lot of money to plunk down for a camera.

Since you say you are a beginner, do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

Why do you want to go digital; what do you think it will give you?
And why do you want an SLR; what do you think that will give you?

This isn't to imply that you are making a mistake, it's just that a lot of people have misonceptions about what the equipment will do for them. I don't want you to spend so much money on something you will be disappointed with.

Skyeg said:
dont buy a digilux 2, get a camera you can put differnt lenses on.
I don't think that's a given. It all depends upon what a person wants out of the camera. Dust can be a real issue with digitals, and every time you change a lens, you risk getting dust on the sensor. If you spend time in the desert, a one-piece might suit you better.

I'm very much interested in photography. And going digital gives me the awesome option to check/review my results rightaway. I do not have the patience for the film/darkroom.

I prefer SLR because I do not want the camera to do the job. I would like to set the aperture, lighting, focus etc.

I have a S400 which I had bought for my wife. Its a good camera in its class. But it does not quench my satisfaction. Digital SLR would be my ideal solution.
[/i]

Thanks Skyeg for the info. I did not know that one could use any kind of lenses on the Digilux2. I very much liked the exterior design of the Digilux2, which is why I briefly pondered over it. But I was not initially happy about the 5 mega pixel fact.

Digilux2 is out of my mind!

I had posted this question in another place in this same forum. I think, this is the right place to raise these queries. Let me paste it here:

1. What does a career in Photography provides? be it in any desciplines - commercial product, fashion or whatever.

2. Which is THE best school for photography in New York or neighboring area?

3. IF I were to pursue photography as my primary career, how do I go about it?

Looking forward to have your valuable inputs.

Thanks and regds

danalec99 said:

I'm very much interested in photography. And going digital gives me the awesome option to check/review my results rightaway. I do not have the patience for the film/darkroom.
Heh. That's the same reason for me. That digital will give you, and I've found it to be a big help.

I prefer SLR because I do not want the camera to do the job. I would like to set the aperture, lighting, focus etc. [/quote]

You don't need an SLR to have all those options. There are some very good rangefinder style digital cameras that will allow you to use manual settings. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex. All this really means is that when you look through the viewfinder, you are looking through the actual lens rather than a seperate view. It allows you to see exactly what the film/sensor will see when you click the shutter. Not all SLR cameras have detachable lenses, either.

If you are planning on just getting the one lens, and that sounds like what you have planned as that 28-300 covers quite a range, there isn't much of a benefit to getting interchangable lenses. I don't usually use zooms, prefering primes. My main lenses are a 50/1.4 and a 85/1.8. I swap between them rather than twist the zoom dial. Since I want to have primes (and the wide apertures that they give me), I need a camera that will allow that. Most people don't like the hassle or the expense.

Getting a camera that won't limit you in the future is a good idea, but more so with film cameras, not digital. If you are starting out, by the time you push your camera to the limits, it will be old technology and the money you saved by buying a cheaper camera to start with can now get you an even better camera to upgrade to. Digital prices fall so fast that it might even be cheaper to start small and upgrade, and it's not like you well get much if you go to sell your old one. Film cameras have traditionally held their value much better.

If you had bough the Canon D60 when it came out, you would have spent more than if you had bought a cheaper camera and upgraded to a 10D now, and the 10D is a better camera. Someone who had gone lower and upgraded would now have a better camera (and a back-up) for less money than the person stuck with the D60.

Some of the Canon Powershots have a decent resolution, a good range of focal lengths (like 35-105 and 38-380), and have manual overrides. At $500, you could buy one now, learn how to shoot, and when you get to the point that it starts limiting you, you could use the money you saved now to get a nicer camera. The 6.4 megapixels won't really help you much if you are going to be posting to the web or making 4x6 prints. If you get a Epson 2200 to make 12x18 prints, then it will come into play much more.

I'm not saying that the 10D is a bad buy. I have one and love it. I just think it's not the best buy for the money for someone starting out. Many people think it's a good camera that makes the good pictures. That really isn't true. A better camera only raises the bar of limitations. If a photographer isn't pushing that limit yet, they are usually better off with a "lesser" camera.

I don't want to be discouraging, and I can't get into detail at the moment, but it's really hard to make a living at photography. At least the most people think of it. Many are lucky just to make enough to pay for their hobby. It's a very competitive business.

I don't want to be discouraging, and I can't get into detail at the moment, but it's really hard to make a living at photography

It is not at all discouraging. That was just a query. I'm comfortably placed at the moment. Was just doing a little research. Thanks anyways!

If not 10D, which one would you recomend for me as a beginner? Currently I use the Powershot S400.

And re. the lenses, since I'm a beginner, instead of buying a handful of lenses, would you recommend the Tamron 25-300?

The previous Tamron query is pertaining to a scenario IF I get a 10D!

Sorry, I missed your recommendations about the $500 Powershot.

I have a Powershot S400. It does limits me :( . When I play with my cousin's 10D, it gives me a whole new perspective and 'high'. Which is why I started to seriously think about 10D.

And which is why I'm here to do a bit more research before I visit B&H.

Most reactions

Back