10D vs T21 in the rain

Lambo77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I've recently upgraded from my ancient Canon 10D to a T2i. Not really an apples to apples upgrade, cause technically I downgraded from semi-pro to entry level, but still an upgrade in alot of ways. So, to get to my question, last year while shooting in the blue ridge mountains, I got stuck in a "2 hour hike" back to the car in pouring down rain. Granted, I had put my 10D back into my backpack, but it, and everything else, was soaked by the time I got back to the car. All my manuals were pretty much ruined, but the 10D and all my "important" stuff was totally fine. Would the T2i survive a similar problem? I ask, because I'm headed out to the same trail in about 3-4 weeks, and I would hate to get stuck in the rain again, but I'd very extremely upset if my camera didnt survive.

I don't know if it would survive, but I would just bring a really big ziplock bag just to be safe.

I don't know if it would survive, but I would just bring a really big ziplock bag just to be safe.
It's amazing sometimes how I miss some of the most obvious solutions! I've seriously never thought about bring along a ziplock bag. <-- not sarcasm either, I truly didnt think about it. Thanx!

Neither of those bodies have 'weather sealing', so it would be hit and miss as to whether or not it gets damaged in the rain. One thing to do, would be to remove the battery.

And yes, keeping some plastic bags with you is a great idea. I have a few large zip-lock bags tucked into my main camera bag, and I always grab those plastic shower caps from hotels, because they can be nice little rain covers for when I'm shooting in the rain.

Several years ago, I got soaked along with my 20D. I was on a rain forest canopy tour (zip lines) in Costa Rica. Because I had to wear a harness, I wasn't allowed to bring my camera bag but I decided to bring my camera anyway, because it wasn't raining at base camp. But by the time we got up there, it was a downpour...and I had to use two hands for the zip-line, so the camera was completely soaked. The inside of the LCD screen was fogged up for several days, but the camera kept working and still works to this day (knock on wood).

I was surprised to see how resilient the camera was...or maybe I just got lucky.

Also, I keep some silica gel in my camera bags, so that if my gear does get wet, it doesn't fester once I put it into the bag.

And lastly, my main camera bag is a LowePro 'AW' series. (All Weather), so the fabric is water resistant and it has a built in rain cover. If you can't get a water resistant bag for your trip, buy a can of that spray on stuff and spray it on your bag.

Do they make a rain cover for the backpack? Or you could keep a folded up garbage bag or 2 in the backpack to jury rig a backpack rain cover. A 55 gallon garbage bag would even work as a rain poncho for you with 3 strategically placed openings for your head and arms.

Do they make a rain cover for the backpack? Or you could keep a folded up garbage bag or 2 in the backpack to jury rig a backpack rain cover. A 55 gallon garbage bag would even work as a rain poncho for you with 3 strategically placed openings for your head and arms.

Totally off topic side rant:

I was at Universal Studios: Hollywood yesterday where we got a decent bit of rain. People were paying $3 a pop for those little plastic ponchos which are nothing but a fancy garbage bag with holes in it. I couldn't believe it, they were everywhere too! I've wasted money on some pretty stupid things before, but $3 for a garbage bag? Yikes.

I was at Universal Studios: Hollywood yesterday where we got a decent bit of rain. People were paying $3 a pop for those little plastic ponchos which are nothing but a fancy garbage bag with holes in it. I couldn't believe it, they were everywhere too! I've wasted money on some pretty stupid things before, but $3 for a garbage bag? Yikes.

Sure, $3 for a garbage bag is expensive...but when you can't just walk into a store and buy one...and it's raining, $3 isn't much to pay to stay dry.
Supply was low, demand was high. Welcome to economics 101.

Sure, $3 for a garbage bag is expensive...but when you can't just walk into a store and buy one...and it's raining, $3 isn't much to pay to stay dry.
Supply was low, demand was high. Welcome to economics 101.

You mean Dumb Public 101. Since I checked the weather and knew there was an 80% chance of rain, I planned accordingly. It's not like the rain was a surprise, these people are just retarded (which probably also had to do with them being ok with spending $3 on a garbage bag).

Calling people 'retarded' isn't cool.

And I don't see it as being wrong if someone doesn't want to haul around enough supplies to be prepared for every possible weather condition, when for a measly $3, you can get a poncho IF it rains...and then recycle it when you don't need it anymore.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back