120 brownie cam help

lathamemmons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i bought a brownie hawkeye and im going to use 120 on a 620 spool
but i dont know any thing about 120 so plz tell me whats going on.
what size is the negitive ? i have a old enlarger with a 2x2 inch neg carrier is it the right size.
i have three 620 camera's whitch one should i use brownie hawkeye flash model-agfa synchro box-kodak duaflex iv with the kodet lens.

You negative will be 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 I am pretty sure. You can tell by how many shots your camera will take... 12 shots is 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 8 shot is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4.. Your current enlarger will work you just have to make a carrier that size usually you can make one from poster board.

I think the three cameras are pretty much equal all things considered.

I have a hawkeye and a duoflex and have shot the duoflex once I converted it to a pinhole comera. I have never shot the brown hawkeye

so do you just cut a hole in 2 pecies of white card board or something?
i have 2 50mm lens and a 80 or 90 im not sure

the 90 is for the 2inch wide negs... get a piece of poster board cut it in the shape of your negative holder and then make the opening a half inch larger on each side than the 2 inch opening you have now. You should be able to fit it in the enlarger and go to it.

You can also scan them in on a flat bed scanner. If you just want to proof them before printing.

I was told by my photo store guy that it's diffucult to shoot with browines because it was sent in to the manufactuer where the film was removed developed and then a fresh roll was put in and sent back to you with your pictures.

However, he has not been very reliable in the past so he may be just ignorant to the fact.

lathamemmons, if it looks anything like this, you might find this handy. :)

aside: What is it about those old manuals? They just wring my heart. :love:

yep terri thats the one
journeyman you photo guy is on crack man my dad owned one when he was a kid and you deff didnt ship it back to kodak every time you shot a roll,think how much shipping would cost every few days.
thx for the help

yeah thats the one i thought it was. If you go father back with the brownie it was a sealed box camera and had to be shipped back to the factory. Long before this one though. In those days they were wood with leather over them. Sometimes terri ie was red leather.

I've been using my BHF for a year now.. I put 120 in the 'giving' side and it works fine. No need to respool onto 620 spools. Format it 6x6cm or 2.25x2.25" so your negative carrier will work fine.

however, if you pay to have it developed, make sure to get your metal spool back.

Some models require you to respool because the 120 roll won't fit in the camera.. They made the things from the late 40s to late 50s.

C A M E R O S I T Y
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

You can look at codes inside of yours and match the letters to the numbers to determine what year yours was made.

eg: CARM = 1253, December, 1953

I flipped the lens in mine to get the tunnelvision effect:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luketrash/tags/brownie/

Some of my shots out of my camera.. I have three I guess.. One is my wife's and the other is not modified, and I have not used it yet.

This is the camera that took all the photos:

114447420_6e97bb5cc9.jpg

Oh, by the way, the Duaflex will indeed require you to spool 120 film onto 620 rolls in order to use.

However, it's easy once you've done it.. spool 120 from one roll to another unused 120 roll. Then to the 620 roll. You MAY (I never need to) untape the 70mm film from it's position and retape it at frame #1 due to a discrepency in thickness of the spool core.

I use a changing bag and do multiple rolls at once and listen to the televison while I do it.

Luke_H said:
Oh, by the way, the Duaflex will indeed require you to spool 120 film onto 620 rolls in order to use.

However, it's easy once you've done it.. spool 120 from one roll to another unused 120 roll. Then to the 620 roll. You MAY (I never need to) untape the 70mm film from it's position and retape it at frame #1 due to a discrepency in thickness of the spool core.

I use a changing bag and do multiple rolls at once and listen to the televison while I do it.
Hi Luke - have you considered buying 620 film? You can get it here in various speeds, color or B&W. This place has a great reputation, though I've not yet tried it for my old Duaflex. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back