128GB Card?

OnTheFly7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing one or two new memory cards. I am looking at the Extreme Pro 128GB cards in both CF and SD. Other than storage, is there a major difference between a 128GB card and the 64GB card? I almost think 2 smaller cards would be better than 1 larger one in the event that something goes south with the card. But, then again, I guess that is why we run dual cards.

You might want to check your manual to see if it can even address a 128g card.

You shoot enough between downloads to need either card? Heck I use 16GB cards and have only filled up a card once or twice while shooting football games in raw+jpeg.

(Unless you are getting the new Phase One 100mpix cameras, then you may need 2 of each, lol)

Depending on what I shoot and where I am. I do a fair number of Rodeos where I have filled a card and a half, numerous times. I also do quite a bit of multi-day fly fishing and bow hunting trips, where I can not up load images every evening.

Forgot to add, I am using a D810.

Different folks different strokes etc, but a few 32gb cards means you change cards more often, but risk losing less if one fails

Different folks different strokes etc, but a few 32gb cards means you change cards more often, but risk losing less if one fails
A comment frequently made by people who will then have a 2tb or 3tb disk drive in their computer so they can store more photographs on it.

A comment frequently made by people who will then have a 2tb or 3tb disk drive in their computer so they can store more photographs on it.

Does that mean you disagree?

Not sure the best way for any digital stuff. I dropped a 2tb drive about 6 months ago and it seemed fine,worked away,until I turned it off and back on the next day. Luckily I had everything important backed up.

I did once have a card start deleting every photo off it while in camera. It sort of seemed to scroll through and delete very rapidly. I'd say you can't account for everything but you can reduce the odds

Does that mean you disagree?

Not sure the best way for any digital stuff. I dropped a 2tb drive about 6 months ago and it seemed fine,worked away,until I turned it off and back on the next day. Luckily I had everything important backed up.

I did once have a card start deleting every photo off it while in camera. It sort of seemed to scroll through and delete very rapidly. I'd say you can't account for everything but you can reduce the odds
You are right in that one can't account for every eventuality, however solid state memory cards, as well as mechanical disk drives, are extremely reliable these days.

The comment wasn't aimed at you in particular, sorry if it came off like that. I just find it humorous that so many people will adamantly state that it is BAD to use large memory cards but at the same time use large disk drives in their computers. A solid backup program is your best, and only, defense against losing data, regardless of where it's stored, because anything can (and eventually will) fail.

I use 64gb SDHC cards, two of them in each of my cameras, configured so that one is a backup of the other. When I get home from shooting my photographs are downloaded to two separate drives on my computer, then copied to a backup drive. Three copies of everything before I erase them from my camera.

Depending on what I shoot and where I am. I do a fair number of Rodeos where I have filled a card and a half, numerous times. I also do quite a bit of multi-day fly fishing and bow hunting trips, where I can not up load images every evening.

Forgot to add, I am using a D810.

Must admit when I've done showjumping, even casually, with just a couple of shots per horse its very easy in a day to fill cards. I've actually run out once or twice before the end of the day.

I also recall when people said we'd never ever use 16GB or even 8Gb cards because of the number of photos that could be lost to corruption. And now I find that 16Gb is needed because of file size increases! I would say more cards is generally preferable over one or two big ones. If just because it spreads out the potential damage of a corrupted card. Get 1 corrupted card out of 5 and you've still got 4 cards worth of shots for certain before using data recovery - get 1 corrupted card out of 1 and you're pinning all your hopes on data recovery!

That said it also depends on storage and access; more cards means having to pause and open up the camera to change over. Sometimes that's possible sometimes it might be more restrictive if you're tight on packing or working in more camera-hostile environments.

Finally there is convenience - bigger cards are easier and simpler to shoot with.

I must admit with a camera I'd prefer decent sized but more cards; whilst when it comes to my tablet I'm happy with wanting to stick a 128GB card in there. The difference though is that the camera is storing new unique data; whilst the tablet is storing copied and backed-up data that I have elsewhere before it goes into the tablet.

Most reactions

Back