$150 to $200 off a lens!!

photonewbie23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i bought my d5100 from best buy and they are offering me the option of getting the following:

1. af-s dx 55-200mm vr telephoto lens for $150
2.af-s nikkor 55-300mm vr lens for $250
3.af-s 70-300mm vr telephoto lens for $389

Ive been looking online and I really cant find any that are much cheaper, and if they are its from amazon and used. . . are the following ok deals? Im looking for something that would help me shoot at distances around 20-30 feet, what would you recommend ? thanks for any input im pretty new at this.

Last edited:
Ok, so the 55-300 is better quality than the 55-200. It's not just slightly longer but better build. The 70-300 is an fx lens; you have a dx camera, so it might be slightly overkill. If you are just starting out, I'd recommend the 55-300 as an intermediate.

Yep the 55-300vr is the better buy. But do love the smaller,lighter and more compact 55-200vr for walkabouts. But sports,wildlife,etc. then the 55-300vr is a better match.

thanks guys now im doing some research on both lens and I think im gonna go with the 55-300 since I do plan on shooting some wildlife pictures and some of my brothers soccer games.

Check some lens tests and compare the 70-300 and 55-300. The 70-300 will win. It may be an FX lens but it works perfectly on a crop-sensor camera. I've had mine for several years, and if something happens to it I'll buy another one just like it.

Of you're not going to go to full frames soon, it's fine to have a 55-300. However, if you're planning to upgrade to full frame in the future, 70-300 is IMO the best call for this situation.

Well now you guys got me wondering if I should go ahead and get the fx lens since I'm getting a descent discount for purchasing my 5100 from them.

Of you're not going to go to full frames soon, it's fine to have a 55-300. However, if you're planning to upgrade to full frame in the future, 70-300 is IMO the best call for this situation.

Well now you guys got me wondering if I should go ahead and get the fx lens since I'm getting a descent discount for purchasing my 5100 from them.

The fact that the 70-300 is just plain a better lens than the 55-300 is the telling factor to me. It has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it's a DX lens or an FX lens, it's just plain a better lens. As I said above, compare some of the lens reviews and see for yourself.

Go with the 70-300.

WIth the 55-300 the focus ring is at the end and you have to flip a switch to get from auto focus to manual.
With the 70-300 the focus ring is near the body and you can manually focus with out turning off autofocus.

Its will focus faster on auto focus
Better imjages quality from everyting I have seen.

I personally have the 55-200 and mine is razor sharp. With that said, the 70-300 is a better lens all around. The fact that it is FX makes it compatible with FF cameras too which may come in handy later on.

I jut sold my 70-300 for $350 and it was 4 years old. Absolutely loved it and I miss it already. You should absolutely pull the trigger on that deal.you could use it for a while and if you decide you don't like it (that won't happen) you can basically get your money back assuming you don't trash it. You will love the 70-300.

I personally have the 55-200 and mine is razor sharp. With that said, the 70-300 is a better lens all around. The fact that it is FX makes it compatible with FF cameras too which may come in handy later on.

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to insinuate that there was anything wrong with the 55-300, just that in my opinion the 70-300 is a better lens. Both are excellent lenses, but the edge has to go to the 70-300.

well guys I went to best buy to get the 70-300 but i was misinformed on the deal... apparently you have to buy a d7000 or higher to get the 200 of that lens.....So i went ahead and got the 55-300 for $250 plus tax of course...So far I love it but Ive only used it for maybe 200 shots I didn't know on how much i was missing out since all I've been using is my 18-55 that came with my camera.

Most reactions

Back