$1500 for Whatever you want

The One

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Time for a hypothetical, lets say you have $1500 for a FULL-Frame body and X amount of lenses, what would YOU get and why ?

I would get a Nikon D700 for its imaging qualities, and a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED because it's been on my wish list for over a year. (I have several other lenses)

A savings account, because it would be considerably less then needed.

Wouldn't pay for the lens or body I want...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A Sony A7ii with kit lens should come in below this cost with current discounts.

Then add the 50mm f1.8

But with that budget I'd go for a discounted Fuji X-T2 with the excellent 18-55 kit. Nobody really needs 'full frame' these days, except perhaps a professional working with very high iso?

Last edited:
I have the FX body, and like smoke said - $1500 would only be a down payment on any of the Nikon Holy Trinity +1.

I guess if $1500 is all I had to work with I'd go for a used D810.

Really I'd like the D850 (and a new computer to handle the files/storage) and the 105mm 1.4e or the 300mm f/4e

Time for a hypothetical, lets say you have $1500 for a FULL-Frame body and X amount of lenses, what would YOU get and why ?

Still, as always, I'd go for:

D700 - ca $500
Nikkor AF 35mm f2 - ca $200
Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro - ca $250

Rest I'd spent on a Godox remote flash setup, a Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod, and a coated circular polarizer filter plus stepup rings for that.

Mind you thats a very unspecific setup, for example if you go for landscape then theres much better choices to specialize into that.

Still holding out for a 14-24 and a 70-200 for my D850... But also for a set of NiSi Filters... so I don't need a body, but I'd go with a D810 probably if I had to, else I'd use it as a kick start for the rest of my kit!

Since the question only says Full Frame, does not specify digital.....

Pentax LX film camera body and the rest on film.

And by new you mean almost 5 year old D750 XD. I think it is crazy that Nikon has not released a newer full frame body for the $1500-$2000 range yet. Perhaps we will see it happen this year, but there is speculation that wont happen because they don't want it to compete with the Z6. *Shrug*

On the contrary I wouldnt be surprised if Nikon raised the initial price.

The market is shrinking, so Nikon has said to focus on higher tiers of cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back