Photos OK to edit
Well...
what is better to use?
1600 ISO (800 400 200 100)
or
16oo ISO (8oo 4oo 2oo)

I know the 16oo is achieved by using Highlight tone priority
but i dont understand the difference...
Would 16oo be brighter than 1600 but the same speed? or will it expose for the highlights?

Thanks in advance

Im sorry but that makes no sense.

Might only be canons that do it

Basically i went into my c. Func and i turned Hightilght tone priority on and my ISO was going 2oo, 4oo, 8oo, 16oo
instead of the norm.

I done a google search, apparently it is to allow photographers (landscape and stuff like that) to take images of High contrast scenes without blowing the highlights (larger dynamic range) at higher ISO

good question...someone answer please lol...i took some photos not to long ago with the highlight tone priority ...didnt see a difference...ive heard the highlight tone priority causes more noise...i dont know though

...Never heard of that.

After a little googling, it seems that the benefits are mostly for JPEG shooters.

Highlight tone priority expands the dynamic range of the sensor upwards to capture more highlights, at the expense of noise in the shadows at the other end of the sensor's dynamic range. It's very, very useful for shots where you want to preserve detail in bright highlights, and is not restricted to JPEG. Canon uses the oo's to denote that you're in HTP mode when it displays the ISO, probably just so that you don't forget and mess up later shots. As and example, I used it to get this shot:

so Really, In daylight (although Normal ISO 100 would work)
You should set Highlight tone priority to reduce noise in the highlights (use ISO 2oo)
And a night go back to your normal ISO mode?

I Think i understand it now tbh

You should set Highlight tone priority to reduce noise in the highlights (use ISO 2oo)

It sounds like it mostly to preserve the highlights (avoid overexposure) - not necessarily reduce noise.

No. You should use HTP when detail in the highlights is most important. To do this, the camera sacrifices detail in the shadows. When you're shooting a scene full of say, snow, or for the dove shot above, the highlights (all that white) are most important and likely where you want to hold detail. If you're taking a more average scene, where there are shadows and highlights you want to preserve detail in, you need to shoot on your normal ISO settings; otherwise you'll lose detail in the shadows unessecarily.

O|||||||O is right: HTP doesn't reduce noise in highlights. I preserves detail by increasing the dynamic range of the camera. If anything, HTP increases overall noise because of the increase of noise in the shadows.

Though, since we're talking about actually expanding the dynamic range of the camera, it's not really about avoiding over exposure, as adding more detail to your highlights while keeping your midtones and shadows at the same exposure.

This sounds just like Active D-Lighting on Nikons. It slightly underexposes to preserve the highlights, then boosts the brightness which can add noise, especially in the shadows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back