18-200mm lens AND 55-200mm LENS

ALCOEN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a NIKON D80 with a NIKKOR 18-200mm lens, i have lately received a SIGMA 55-200mm as a present, I have taken up photography lately and would very much appreciate a more experienced opinion on these two lenses.

Thank you

Well,
chances are they are kit lenses. General problem with these lenses is they are slow, soft and poorly build. This isn't always true but its pretty accurate for most lenses.
None of the lenses u mention, you should open wider then 5.6 (even keep it no wider then 6.3) to maintain sharpness. You might also need to boost sharpness in PP.
Also don't 4get to properly expose your images :)

If u got more specific Qs, ask away or PM,

Good Luck

Many thanks for your prompt reply,
don't you think they have same particulars (same functions)
in that case would you change either of them and if so for what ?
as you can see i am new in this field
Best

Albert

Many thanks for your prompt reply,
don't you think they have same particulars (same functions)
in that case would you change either of them and if so for what ?
as you can see i am new in this field
Best

Albert

The Nikkor 18-200 lens (I assume it's the one with vibration reduction and retails for ~900 us dollars) is a great lens. It's good for general purposes..

The 55-200 is a cheap ($140) lens and doesn't have stabilization/vibration reduction. I'd see if I could swap it for something like a 35mm f/1.8. 35mm is a 'normal' focal length for a D80's 1.5x crop sensor and the large aperture will allow you to take low light photos with reasonably fast shutter speeds. I also think using a fixed focal length lens helps you to think more about how you're framing your shots and setting up your compositions.

Anyway, that's just what I'd do.

Good luck!

the sigma is not a cheap lens at least here in Switzerland
it is a 50mm 1:1.4 DGHSM EX SIGMA ??
What do you say ?

55-200 is ok for portraits, bird watcgin. 18-200 vr2 (have that) is fr8 for basic overall stuff. Some weddings I shoot w/ ONLY this lens.
big thing about it is that you have to learn and know ur strenth and weaknesses - and go from there

I have the opposite (Nikkor 55-200 VR and Sigma 18-200 OS). For most just walking around I prefer the 18-200, but if I know I am planning to spend more time in the 100mm+ focal length, I go for Nikon 55-200. I've noticed that the Nikkor has a better zoom when comparing the same photo at 200mm with each lens...

Many thanks , greatly appreciated, excellent day

Most reactions

Back