18-250 zoom lens - color loss?

badmonsters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Tamron 18-250, and this was my main lens for awhile, as it offered me a greater range of potential shots. When I'm outside, I almost always have a CPL on as well. Recently I got a fixed length 50mm lens, and it seems that when I take basically the same shot with the two lenses, the 18-250 ones end up with a lot less color, and almost a "hazy" effect, in the background. I tried compensating by using a higher fstop for a greater depth of field, but it doesn't seem to work. I can remove this and add some color back in during post, but is there a way to avoid that? Or could there be a potential issue with the lens itself, or is this just a result of using this type of lens?

Thank you!

not all lenses are made equal. what make is your 50? what model?

its a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

I think I might also have an answer from another post in the forum, might need to add a UV filter:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/258977-there-way-reduce-haze.html

What camera (type) are you using? Digital cameras don't really benefit from UV filters.

What you are seeing, is likely the difference between a high quality lens and a lower quality lens. A 50mm lens is a very simple design, the lens designers can easily optimize it for good image quality, while keeping it small and inexpensive. A lens like 18-250mm (14X), on the other hand, has a very wide range that it has to cover. In order to design a lens like that, without making it huge and really expensive, they had to compromise on the image quality.

That's why many of us, who care more about image quality than convenience, don't like to use lenses that are more than 3X. For example, the top quality zoom lenses are usually something like 17-40mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm.

So enjoy your 50mm and relish in the image quality that it can give you. Meanwhile, start saving for something better to replace your 18-250mm lens with. :er:

its a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

I think I might also have an answer from another post in the forum, might need to add a UV filter:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/258977-there-way-reduce-haze.html

You don't need UV filters on Digital cameras.. the sensors are not sensitive to UV like film was. Waste of time and money.

On the color loss.. how good is the CPL you say you leave on the lens most of the time. A cheap CPL could maybe cause issues like this if it lacks decent coatings. Any cheap filter could cause issues. Some lenses are more contrasty and produce better color definition than others. A prime will usually outperform a zoom in this sense... although in the more expensive (better) zooms, this will be less of an issue.

Try shooting without the CPL.. make sure your lenses are clean... check your lens to make sure there is no fogging inside.

I'm using a Nikon D60, first time using a camera nicer than the borderline disposable point and shoot ones.

The CPL is a ProMaster.

Last edited:
Mike covered what I would have pointed out.

Does you ProMaster CPL have the HGX coatings?

Full name is a PROMASTER Digital Polarizing Filter 62mm, and they have another one called Digital HGX filter, so I don't believe it has that coating. What does the HGX do?

Last edited:
Helps to transimit the light properly without ghosting, flaring, etc.... the HGX is the higher quality filter.

try this.. shoot some subjects with the CPL.. and then the same subject without the CPL.. make sure the lighting is the same. Compare... see if that is an issue....

Will try this weekend, the weather in Wisconsin is fantastic and the trees are all the right colors.
Thanks for the advice, will post any results.

Most reactions

Back