18-55mm lens

RubyGloom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 18-55mm and a 28-135mm lens. I always use the 28-135, is the 18-55mm worth keeping? Is there any situtations where I would want to use it above the 28-135? Thanks!

if you don't use it, why keep it? nonetheless it's not like either is really that good anyway.

The 18-55 is still considerably wider than the 28-135. Tripod up and take a photo with each lens at it's widest focal length. That could be enough reason right there to keep the 18-55.

I would keep it unless you're going to replace it with something that covers that focal range. My attitude with lenses is that you'll never regret having too many lenses, but if it's not a duplicate lens, you may regret one day NOT having it! I rarely use my 18-55, but I HAVE pulled it out in a pinch when I needed to get really wide. Until I pick up a prime or a better zoom in that range, I'll hold onto it, even if it only comes out of the bag once or twice a year.

Its not really worth much, so you might as well keep it. They go for $100 new and everyone is selling there's when they upgrade, so you might get $40-50 for it? Unless you get a wide angle lens to replace it, I'd just keep it.

is the 18-55mm worth keeping? Is there any situtations where I would want to use it above the 28-135? Thanks!
It's worth keeping until you get something with a focal length that covers 18-24 mm..There are a lot of situations where you would want to use the 18-55 rather than the 28-135.

Thanks. It makes sense keeping it until I have a wide angle. Is there a huge difference in the quality of images between the 188-55 and the 28-135?

if you don't use it, why keep it? nonetheless it's not like either is really that good anyway.

Currently its all I can afford at the moment and I havent had any issues with my 28-135. I do want to upgrade eventually but for now its all I have to work with. Which lens would you suggest upgrading to? I was thinking the 24-105.

Thanks. It makes sense keeping it until I have a wide angle. Is there a huge difference in the quality of images between the 188-55 and the 28-135?
Image quality has more to do with the knowledge and skill of the photographer, than with the camera and lens used.

Concentrate on gaining a good foundation by learning and understanding the basic technical aspects of doing photography. That will allow you to judge how various equipment technical specifications will be a plus or a minus based on your intended use, and allow you to get the maximum performance out of all your gear.

Keep it until you get something better in that focal range which will replace it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back