19 pt focusing system of the 7D vs 60D (for legally blind photographer).

gimmetiger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's the thing - I have been shooting the past few years using a 40D and I am now starting to make a bit of $$$ of of my craft! Tis time for me to finally upgrade (yay)!

Fact - I am legally blind.
I shoot mainly portraits - my focus points are pretty predictable.

Does anyone know how the focusing system of the 40D compares to that of the 60D?

Is the 19pt 7D focusing system REALLY worth the price tag ($400+ more than the 60D body)?

I have produced incredible images from my 40D - should I stick w the XXD line (has the XXD line improved since the production of the 40D) or go for the gusto and purchase the 7D????

Decisions decision!

I think the construction of the 7D alone (magnesium alloy body, 100% viewfinder with LCD overlay, weather sealing, and the use of CF cards) makes it worth the upgrade over the 60D (which is like a big Rebel, in my opinion). I had a 60D for about 8 months, and I was shocked at the difference when I upgraded to the 7D.

Edit: Assuming you even need a new body, that is. Is your 40D not performing as you require? Do you have the best glass and lighting for the job?

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

I'm covered on lighting (the kind I need, monolights with a Vagabound). I use a 17-50 1.8 and a nifty 50. I just think it's time for a 8mp avantage here.

Yes - I have noticed that the 60D build quality is crap compared to my 40D's construction. This does raise some concern.

Honestly I am not bat sh*t crazy about the 60D - at first I was even looking into the T3i, I shot with a Rebel for an assignment last summer where I had to walk backwards for 2 hours for - it was so dainty and plastic I felt like it was going to fly out of my hand or break on me. The build quality was TERRIBLE!

Hey rebels are not thaaat bad ;)
But yes the 40D line was split into the lower order 60D and the upper level 7D, so upgrading to the 60D will have a few things lacking that the 40D had (though, from memory, the only thing that I think the 60D lacks in against the 40D is the build quality and size of the body).

I would say that if the AF on the 40D has stood up well then the 60D would have all the AF that you would require the use of, however if the build quality is of importance then the 7D would provide you with that better grade build, size and weathersealing. The AF is superior as well, though for portraits you shouldn't be too hard up and, as you say, even the AF in a rebel series camera can keep up well with common portrait shooting.

You might also find that the customisable options for the 7D AF might also help you a little more with your shooting, though primarily this is targeted toward action photography.

Rebels are terrific - unless they fly out of your hand while getting paid $100 an hr to shoot for someone.

Weatherproofing - rather obsolete, I shoot primarily in a studio.

Build quality - well, I am blind thus a bit more accident prone than the average joe (ha).

Damn you Canon - what is up with the lack of build quality on the XXD line - and where is my joystick on this device! I personally think they did this intentionally!

The focus here is mainly on FOCUS... is it worth the $400 price tag?

7D units AF is the best you can get outside of the 1D line in the current canon line-up and is more than capable for studio shooting; however I'm unsure if it would make much difference over a 60D or even the 40D if you are shooting in a studio environment. Your specific condition might well make the improved af of the 7D have more of an effect on your work than for many others.

Also, since you shoot studio mostly, have you considered a 5D original or a 1D line body? (both would be second hand/reconditioned options). That would give you a larger field of view and the option for a shallower depth of field. The 5D gives you the full 35mm sensor and angle of view, whilst second hand 1D cameras would give you either the 1.3 crop or fullframe (depending which one you aim for) - however I don't know the 1D line all that well to recommend specific models.
The 5D AF is nothing special and that might be a major detracting feature for you - the 1D line will have better AF in general (though as I say I can't get into model specifics with this line)

I wish I can go bonkers on the spending and go full frame - I made a pact with myself not to do so until I am 100% making a living off of my photography, as of now I make about 25% from my work.

A second hand 5D (or reconditioned) is roughly in the same ballpark price as the 7D is - and whilst the 5D is an older model its still a very capable fullframe camera body easily capable of professional results when used correctly. Downside would be that it will only fit your 50mm prime, so you would also be looking at larger investments in glass in following months.

Yes - I have looked at this option. I've decided to stick with APS until Canon releases the 5DIII so I can buy a used 5DII - I admit, video is a rather nice and could potentially open a new can of worms for me professionally!

Overread - "7D units AF is the best you can get outside of the 1D line in the current canon line-up"... thank you for pointing this out! I think I am leaning towards the 7D!

Most reactions

Back