1909 Colt Police Positive. C&C welcomed.

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I put the camera cown for several months due to rekindled interest in a different hobby. That tends to happen to me from time to time, but I always come back to it.

The good news is that this recent purchase enticed me to bring my camera out of the bag. The bad news is I didn't get any better during the hiatus.

Back story (skip to the * if you don't care) I frequent a lot of garage sales, and always ask if they have any old camera equipment or firearms. This guy had a revolver squirreled away for the last 30 years or so..... no longer wanted it..... but didn't know how to legally get rid of it. Long story short, after a long conversation about local laws he decided to part with it.

It was issued to a local County Jailor, and had his name and the issuing county on one side, and the city name "Minneapolis" on the other. It's obviolusly seen quite a lot of use, and I'm thrilled to have such a nice piece of local history on display in my home.

* My intent with this photograph was to get all of the wear and history to "pop" out on this revolver. In my experience with photographing firearms it is difficult (for me anyways) to get the subtle differences between white steel (where the bluing has worn off) bluing and rust to be easily distinguished without blosint out parts of the metal.

My approach was to shoot this through a 50mm 1.8 @ f/5.6, have a SB600 through an 18" umbrella at 1/4 power almost right on top of the piece from the right and a piece of wihte typing paper boucing light from the left. This is all sitting on my coffee table as a background. Any way advice as to how to get this acheived better wold be great.

Any C&C or comments are welcome unless you are just going to turn this into a whine fest about how much you hate guns. If you don't like the subject matter, please either just comment on the technique, or visit another thread. Thanks!

7235887156_e5938dc674_c.jpg

I would prefer a simpler background. The background isn't horrible, but with the reflection in the foreground, it just makes it a bit too busy.

The reflection of the bolt is particularly distracting.

I think the lighting is nice, I just think you tried to include too much into this photo.

Also, the reflection at the bottom left of the pistol barrel, cylinder, and trigger guard add to a disorganized composition.

I see what you're saying. A better man would have gotten rid of that reflection in post........

Shouldn't be too hard to do. And I appreciate your input on the background. I can see how it could be a bit busy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Desperate plea for attention bump. :D

(really? Only one comment?)

Last edited:
Is that your Mosin table I'm seeing through? Nice Colt man, a piece of marked history is a nice find for a collector! 1909 is pre-serial but are there numbers that you can trace to it's mfg date?

Is that your Mosin table I'm seeing through? Nice Colt man, a piece of marked history is a nice find for a collector! 1909 is pre-serial but are there numbers that you can trace to it's mfg date?

Roger on the mosin table. (now with more hexes and a 91/59. :D )

Colt Police Positive Specials started serilaization in 1908 (according to proofhouse.com). This one is 17xxx which puts it in 1909. They are marked on the inside of the crane, frame and sideplate.

And yes, a stellar find for a collector. I'm thrilled and lucky to have it. I will be doing some research on the previous owner. I'm friends with a few folks on the hennepin county police force that are willing to help, and will be making few stops to the Historical society to see if I can dig up any information

Want to get a better picture of it though, now that reflection is bugging the hell out of me. :lol: Your criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

Back