1932 Ford

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I visited a car show this afternoon and took some shots of some of the really cool cars that were there. The owners were really nice. I offered to email them the photographs and they were all for it.

This is probably my favorite car that I saw there. The owner mentioned it was 1932 Ford something or other. I don't really remember. I'm not so much into cars, but these were really nice.

As far as the technical aspects of the shot, it is comprised of 7 exposures with my ususal 3, 2 1 +/-. I finished up in CS5. I see the right upper right corner blown out but I don't mind so much as it's far enough away from the main cubject of the shot and I don't find it distracting. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Danny

2im3v9.jpg

After looking at it a bit more, I think the orginal looks a little flat. I made a slight curves adjustment for more contrast and got this.

yym87.jpg

Nice. I like that you adjusted the curve a bit...I would almost like to see a tad on the levels hit too, but that's just me and my lack of love for bright images. I am not sure I am diggin' the comp and the blownout portion does bug me a bit, but I felt compelled to chime in and comment on your putting it all together as far as the process goes. Very well done as best as my noob eyes can see.

Thanks for your insight Ernicus. As far as the comp, I wanted something other than the usual head on shot or down the side shot for this car. The part of the car that I picked for the shot was really interesting looking with all the chrome and the way you could see how all the connections are made. I know nothing about cars so bear with me. :)

As far as the brightness, I thought it was kind of bright too, but I left it. I figured it was a sunny day so why not show that in the image. Good points by you.

Danny

For me.. it is too obvious as to what it is, to me to like it on an abstract level. There is not enough of any one thing for me to like it on a subject level. With the wheels being cropped, and no real vision of what the car looks like overall... it is just a jumble of cropped parts. Technically... it lacking on the HDR level also. My take anyway!

I wanted something other than the usual head on shot or down the side shot for this car. The part of the car that I picked for the shot was really interesting looking with all the chrome and the way you could see how all the connections are made.

This I understand completely. I was going to go to a car show and I had the exact thoughts in mind, be different. Unfortunately mine got rained out, so another day. That part about yours is interesting which is one reason I do like it. I like the detail on those inner workings, that they are clean, nice, and clear...and the chrome is awesome. So point for them for cleaning it, and point for you for taking a not only a great image of that part, but putting it together greatly as well.

a thought, along the lines of Charlies post after reading it, came to me. Is the only difference in this image vs. a standard image, being the lack of shadow cast on the left portion? Is that the only defining factor in this particular HDR image, of it being a HDR?

For me.. it is too obvious as to what it is, to me to like it on an abstract level. There is not enough of any one thing for me to like it on a subject level. With the wheels being cropped, and no real vision of what the car looks like overall... it is just a jumble of cropped parts. Technically... it lacking on the HDR level also. My take anyway!

Thanks gipson. So I think the comp is lacking for you. I wasn't sure about it either and you make some points I will definitely remember in the future. As far as the HDR part, where exactly is it lacking and what could I do to improve it? Aside from that blown out part on the right side of course.

Danny

a thought, along the lines of Charlies post after reading it, came to me. Is the only difference in this image vs. a standard image, being the lack of shadow cast on the left portion? Is that the only defining factor in this particular HDR image, of it being a HDR?

Well, there is a definite shadow under the car. The defining factor to me is the fact that both the darkest parts of the subject as well as the brightest are clearly visible as I saw them. It's not a garish HDR like some others I've seen. I prefer the more natural look and I think technically this image has that look.

Thanks gipson. So I think the comp is lacking for you. I wasn't sure about it either and you make some points I will definitely remember in the future. As far as the HDR part, where exactly is it lacking and what could I do to improve it? Aside from that blown out part on the right side of course.

Danny

More exposures on the dark side of the scale.. it needs to be darker in some areas for better definition... not just the sky, but I feel you went a bit overboard on the light side of things. Without seeing it though.. hard to say....

On the comp.. that is a beautiful vehicle, with classic lines! You didn't show us that... you reduced it to a bunch of geometric shapes. I am sure a real car nut might like it, but a regular viewer.. maybe not. Even a vertical shot with just the radiator (ALL of it) to the passenger side wheel would have shown enough of the car to tantalize and make someone want more, if you see what I mean?

More exposures on the dark side of the scale.. it needs to be darker in some areas for better definition... not just the sky, but I feel you went a bit overboard on the light side of things. Without seeing it though.. hard to say....

On the comp.. that is a beautiful vehicle, with classic lines! You didn't show us that... you reduced it to a bunch of geometric shapes. I am sure a real car nut might like it, but a regular viewer.. maybe not. Even a vertical shot with just the radiator (ALL of it) to the passenger side wheel would have shown enough of the car to tantalize and make someone want more, if you see what I mean?

I do see what you mean. Great tips. Thanks!

I like the angle and the chrome came out really good. I agree with cgipson though, the tire on the left needs to either be complete, or it needs a crop. The blown sky should be quick and easy to fix. Overall, I like it though.

sweet.. now that is classic!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back