1967 Ford Mustang

Postman158

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I went ahead and attempted my first shot at automotive photography today. I know I still have a TON to learn, but man, that was fun. It was neat trying to make a beautiful car look beautiful in picture. The first 3 are natural light, while the last has two strobes. It was tough, because as you all know, cars reflect wayyyy more than a human does.. haha. You auto photographer heads out there, lay it on me! This was incredibly fun, and I hope to learn a lot more about automotive photography. I'd love to advance in this type of photography, I just need to be pointed in the right direction on where I can improve in composition and even in post production.

All of these were taken with my Canon 50mm f1.4 with a circular polarizing filter.

7751189164_9890d58e4c_b.jpg

7751190118_61e4ceb453_b.jpg

7751191228_ece4d195df_b.jpg

This last one, I fell the light might be too harsh. Strobing on a car on my first auto shoot may have not been the best idea.. haha.
7751192376_0c850ff534_b.jpg

All C&C Welcome!

SWEET!!!!!!! MY very first car was a 1967 Ford Mustang with a 289 c.i.d V-8, and 3-speed transmission! It was sky blue, mag wheels, with a black vinyl hardtop! Black interior. Your photos bring back memories of a fun car from 31 years ago!

If you are interested in reducing the reflections from the car body, have you tried using a polarizer. It won't eliminate all the reflections because of the curvature of the various surfaces, but it might help eliminate some of them. Then again, you may already tried this. My only other suggestion would be to watch your backgrounds. Too often a background element can be distracting, for example, the tree trunk on the left side in the first photo and the tree in the middle background of the third one, and thus they take the viewer's eye away from the main subject. Regardless of the tree, I do like the third one the best as I think that the vertical lines in the fencing keep bringing your eyes back to the car.

WesternGuy

Darrell: Thanks! Glad you like it :) This mustang has been in my family for close to probably 40 years. It was my grandpas gift to my mom for prom night I believe. Any technical aspects of the photographs I can can improve on?

WesternGuy: I did happen to use a circular polarizing filter. I'll keep the distracting backgrounds in mind next time though, thanks!

Anyone else?

When I use a CPL for auto photography, I rotate in such a way to remove reflections from the windows. The paint is always going to be reflecting something somewhere, but making the glass clear is more natural looking.

Watch your backgrounds. It's a auto photography faux pas to have things growing out of the top of the car, ie. telephone poles, trees, etc.

In terms of shooting angle, one technique I use regularly is being exactly perpendicular to the front wheel, and I never shoot at an angle that points the tire towards me (your last two pics).

You're off to a good start! Beautiful car.

When I use a CPL for auto photography, I rotate in such a way to remove reflections from the windows. The paint is always going to be reflecting something somewhere, but making the glass clear is more natural looking.

Watch your backgrounds. It's a auto photography faux pas to have things growing out of the top of the car, ie. telephone poles, trees, etc.

In terms of shooting angle, one technique I use regularly is being exactly perpendicular to the front wheel, and I never shoot at an angle that points the tire towards me (your last two pics).

You're off to a good start! Beautiful car.

Thanks for the info!

Bump for more comments/advice! :D

No one else? No automotive photographers out there? :p

The last photo taken is done very well for an automotive composition. I shoot a lot of auto. That and landscapes seem to be what I'm best at, anyway. That, and I don't really have a lot of experience shooting anything else.

Anyway, images 1, 2, and 4 give you a good feel in the "depth" of the paintjob. I would avoid shooting in parking lots if you can, the lot lines tend to make everything look very amateur and they draw attention.

The 2nd image has the right idea with the pavement if you're going to use a parking lot, but there is a lot going on in the background. If you shot more images like number 4, you will be going in the right direction.

It's properly composed, the background isn't too distracting, and you have an idea on how to give the paint the right kind of attention. You might also want to consider using a wireless triggered strobe in the interior of the vehicle also. This eliminates shadows cast from the exterior if the vehicle and makes the interior look very crisp.

Last edited:
No one else? No automotive photographers out there? :p

The last photo taken is done very well for an automotive composition. I shoot a lot of auto. That and landscapes seem to be what I'm best at, anyway. That, and I don't really have a lot of experience shooting anything else.

Anyway, images 1, 2, and 4 give you a good feel in the "depth" of the paintjob. I would avoid shooting in parking lots if you can, the lot lines tend to make everything look very amateur and they draw attention.

The 2nd image has the right idea with the pavement if you're going to use a parking lot, but there is a lot going on in the background. If you shot more images like number 4, you will be going in the right direction.

It's properly composed, the background isn't too distracting, and you have an idea on how to give the paint the right kind of attention. You might also want to consider using a wireless triggered strobe in the interior of the vehicle also. This eliminates shadows cast from the exterior if the vehicle and makes the interior look very crisp.

Thanks man! I never thought of putting a strobe inside the car. I used two wireless strobes for the exterior on number 4, but the idea of putting one inside the car as well sounds like a great idea. Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back