1st DSLR

seisky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently saving up for my first DSLR camera. I don't want to spend too much right away, probably $400-$600 for body and basic lens. The only cameras I've looked at are the Nikon D40 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. What would be the best for my 1st DSLR?

anybody want to help?

This is asked, I don't know, at least once a day by someone. I will say what I always say.

The only reason I don't like the D40 is because the focusing motor is not in the camera and with higher end nikon lenses you loose the ability to have autofocus. Might not be a big deal to you, but I find that pretty crappy.

i would get the d40. my friend has the xt, and i dont like it all too much

so would the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT be a good choice?

i would get the d40. my friend has the xt, and i dont like it all too much

You have to quantify that, what don't you like?

Another important thing when picking up a camera is to actually go somewhere and hold it. Take some shots with it and see how you like it. check out the controls and such. If you get into this as a hobby or job or whatever, remember that you are purchasing a system, not a camera. Camera bodies are cheap, lenses are not!

Another important thing when picking up a camera is to actually go somewhere and hold it. Take some shots with it and see how you like it. check out the controls and such. If you get into this as a hobby or job or whatever, remember that you are purchasing a system, not a camera. Camera bodies are cheap, lenses are not!

well put!!

we need to sticky this answer.

This is asked, I don't know, at least once a day by someone. I will say what I always say.

The only reason I don't like the D40 is because the focusing motor is not in the camera and with higher end nikon lenses you loose the ability to have autofocus. Might not be a big deal to you, but I find that pretty crappy.

I actually kinda wanted to correct this. With higher end Nikon glass your generally looking at stuff with AF-S motors (meaning: af-s will focus on a d40). Some of the older glass, specifically primes, are only AF (not af-s) lenses and therefore won't focus on a d40. Your biggest loss is probably the 50mm f1.8, as it costs around $100, is tack sharp and shoots in low light. A correction for this is to get a focusing screen installed in the d40, which opens up a whole lot of lenses that are completely manual focus.

You'd also miss out on a few off-brand lenses that are actually known to be extremely good value. Fortunately, with the money you save you can go straight for the Nikon stuff.

It seems like a pretty straight forward question, but there is NO perfect answer. I think it mainly depends on how much money you have and what options you want. You already know how much money and that's a good start. That pretty much lets you know what class you're in... The major toss up for me was b/n Nikon and Canon. I read a lot of independent reviews and it "seemed" as though the Nikon was a better performer for quality of images (NO NIKON vs CANON WAR!! that's just what "I" found at the time). I would recommend that you read as many reviews as possible and just plain google search "this camera vs that camera." Get a little more information about the options and different independent field tests and then truck up to a camera store and play a little.

Why thank you! :geek:

Love the avatar, lol!

you are the first person to comment on it :)

to the OP:

i own the XT and haven't had a single complaint.

Like lifeafter2am said.......go pick up a camera and try it on for size. thats what i did and it's really the best advice.

I have found, after purchasing a Nikon, that Canon's mid-range glass seems a lot more suited towards the advanced amateur. Nikon tends to either be more on the budget side or more on the expensive side, but there are few options in between.

However, from what I gather, Nikon's bodies tend to have a bit better build quality on the low end. Also, Nikon has a few budget lenses that are tack sharp, they are just slow and made of fairly cheap materials. This includes the 18-55 kit lens, which actually performs pretty well. But, if you want anything near f2.8, be prepared to spend a whole lot of money.

If I could start all over again and pick a platform to learn on, I think I would go the Canon route. Once I can afford high-end Nikon glass, I'm sure I'll sing a different tune, but for now I'm stuck with cheap and 3rd party lenses.

Have you concidered buying a used cammera. A D50 with a few accesories or lens would fit into your price range.

Most reactions

Back