1st Noob Photo, please cretique...

AliasPros

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my first Noob photo post!

2504353390.jpg

shot on my XTI with my old 75-300mm (kit lens), fair lighting conditions with no flash... Please critique, comments welcome!

Thank you,

ALIAS

I like the photo with exception of the top of her head being chopped.

the shadows are a killer, and yes the chopped cranium doesnt help either, keep trying, might try some defused flash, if you cannot get away from the shadowing.

btw you have some nice equiptment for being a newbie!!!

Hmmm. totally agree with the crop to tight on the "head room" however the lighting is what drew me to the shot, it's a candid dugout pic and the shadows place her there in the dugout, thought it was on the artistic side. I do have a speed light 580exII with a Gary Fong cloud light diffuser and opted for the natural lighting. Maybe the flash would have been better, does anyone else see the art in the shadows??? As for my equipment yes, I decided to jump in with both legs! So I went for it, and picked up what I thought I needed to shoot pro, now it's all up to me and learning my equipment as I have absolutely no formal training. I would love to go to school for it but it interferes with my 9-5 job as a designer and Adobe Addict LOL! Thank you, look forward to more critiques, I just need to go out and shoot! LOL

ALIAS

I like the shadows. After reading a lot of reviews on here most will tell you that the shadows are bad, but given the situation I think they are perfect, love the chain link. Takes me back to my old ball days.

Well its not soo bad now that I look at it on a nice monitor, my work laptop sucks.
I wish I was in a position to get all that nice equiptment, enjoy using it and good luck on getting to the pro level!

Wait.. am I missing something here? You are a noob and have all that equipment?

But her eyes are so beautiful. Great candid shot. The shadows are harsh, but I don't get the whole shadow thing anyway. I never understood why shadows are a bad thing.

Yes I am a noob to photography, I have shot video mostly, so I have a decent eye for photography however I decided to go all out. I only had my XTI "throw around camera" with kit lenses for way to long, I then decided to go PRO. I started with used 1D mark II and fell in LOVE!!! we danced for a while then picked up the 5D and wow what a clean camera. Then I went nuts ordering lenses, I accumulated all of the items on my signature with in about a 6-8 month period, basically if I liked it I bought it. My wide angle L gets here Friday but I already added it to my signature. I find it useful to show what I shoot with so you guys can say WHY DIDN'T YOU USE YOUR **mm LENS FOR THAT SHOT!!! etc. This is all new to me, so I am here to LEARN from all of you. Thanks for all of your comments and I am glad some others liked the shadows, I personal love the shadows in the pic and kick my self now for chopping her head I will definitely check myself on that from now on.

Thanks!

ALIAS

Last edited:
I like it but the shadows distract me as does her left eye. You also cut off her head.

Oh yeah and she has 2020 vision, whats next her teeth? She is getting braces...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back