1st Official Session of the Year

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep, with all of our blizzards my business has been suffering. But, I finally had my first session of the year on Friday. This baby was just 3 days old:lovey: Her mom and I did a trade for services and she used to play roller derby with me. They were all done using a large window for the main source of light and just a foamcore reflector to the left.

I saw someone do a picture with a ruler once and liked the idea, but I'm not sure if I really pulled it off successfully.
VonFeldt22.jpg

VonFeldt-29.jpg

VonFeldt-16-BW.jpg

VonFeldt-14-BW.jpg

Got some of her 4 year old brother while Mommy was comforting her. Can you tell his Dad is in a rock band? :)
VonFeldt-1_filtered.jpg

VonFeldt-2.jpg

Great job.

#3 is fantastic...just as good as Anne Geddes.

Great job.

#3 is fantastic...just as good as Anne Geddes.

Wow, I think that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my photography :hug::
I'd seen other photographers doing similar shots with babies sleeping on baskets and chairs and such, but had no idea it would be so hard to do. This shot alone took us most of the time we spent doing the photos. I definitely will be trying it again though.

Mike, glad to see you liked the ruler shot. I wasn't sure of it myself. :)

I like the idea of the ruler shot...but I think there is a little too much glare on the ruler. You could have angled it a bit better...or maybe just mask it off in photoshop and add some contrast to it. The rest of that shot is great though.

big mike took the words right out of my mouth! ....
#3 is fantastic...just as good as Anne Geddes. my thought exactly!!! cant wait to do my next lil bubba x
but I think there is a little too much glare on the ruler. You could have angled it a bit better... exactly what i thought to myself! how funny.

Also like the last of the big brother, but think the full guitar shot lacks a bit of punch?? x
the parents will love em x

great shots...#1 would have been better without the slightly shine to the bumps in the material....a flat black would have been better....maybe you could edit out the shine? i like the idea with the ruler there though...totally cute....

the 'anne geddes' shot was quite well done..boy, what a BIG basket!

Do you extra heat your home/studio/room for these baby photos to be taken? Sorry for asking a question that must sound extremely silly to all those of you who take baby photos for their income but... you know... I honestly don't know and am asking to know.

For my friend has a baby and she would never undress it for a photo session. Which is a pity. I had HOPED I'd get round to taking somewhat "different" (different from the usual goes-into-the-album-and-is-a-nice-memory kind of photo, that is) baby photos of when her son was just born 1 1/2 years ago, but no. No undressing him for the camera. Ever. And now her daughter is only a couple of weeks old but ... no undressing. A pity. She is the only person in my near and FAR who has a baby ...

I really like that huge basket! With baby on top. Wow. Lighting looks cool (but I still guess the room was WARM :wink: !)

And I do like the last photo here, the one of the "big brother".

Thank you for the great suggestions you guys. I'll look into getting rid of the shine and enhancing the ruler in the first, but maybe just if her Mom likes that one since I'm still not sure how I feel about it:)

And, LaFoto, we did this at their house and the heat was up pretty high. I was sweating for sure. But, what we did was put one of those little pieces of fabric that are often used on changing tables under the blanket so that if she did have an "accident" it's hopefully wouldn't get all over the pillows underneath. The blanket can always be washed. And, when I say nude shots to the parents they always take everything off except for the diaper until I can convince them that I don't mind if a blanket gets peed on and that they'll thank me later for doing it, once they see the pictures. Then, we have to comfort the baby until she's sleeping in Mom's arms and then transfer her to the basket and wait until she gets comfy there which means lots of patting her back and having a blanket on her so she's warm. Then, when we think she's ready and VERY asleep we take the blanket off and get some pictures until she starts to stir and wake up because she's chilly. It takes a bit of time, but I'm hoping I'll get better at it.
Would your friend allow you to do some with just her diaper on? Then you could wrap that part in a blankie and give the appearance that she's nude.

EDIT: I take back everything I said. You're pictures are fantastic, and I am sure your customer is ecstatic to have them. I know I would be.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect April, and that's how my post sounded.

You are an amazing photographer, and I aspire to be half as talented.

Wow, #1 and #3 are FANTASTIC!
GREAT JOB.

I thought I would mention I read somewhere that if you have a heating pad and turn it on and lay a blanket on baby and use heating pad it will comfort the baby too into relaxing and sleeping and you could even lay it where you are gonna put the baby and have it warming the spot.
Just a thought if you wanna consider it. I seen a clock shot once where someone put the heating pad on the clock to warm it and laid the baby on the clock and it was set to the time the baby was born....cute cute cute.

A very nice series!

I was initially drawn to 4 and 6. In both of these, I feel the positioning in the frame is SLIGHTLY off. It's hard for me when the lines lead to the right, and there's not enough room to prevent a crowded feeling. Just wee crop off the left (more so on 6 than 4) would make me happy.

And again, I have cropping issues on the 3rd one. I find the lighting to be wonderful! I think the image is more about baby than basket, and want to crop WAY in on this one.

Nice stuff! Great posing on the group photo.

Pete

Most reactions

Back