1st photo share

peke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new to photography and really just trying to learn the ropes, learning my camera and the software for editing. I love hummingbirds but as I hear they are really hard to capture just right for beginners especially with the beginner set up I have. I am using the Nikon D3000 and 55-200 lens.
Here is one of my recent attempts. opinions?

1552Smaller.jpg

1. What settings were u on?

2. What editing are you doing and what program?

3. I like this shot just maybe a tad underexposed

Really good! :thumbup::thumbup:

RjL

I dont really like the angle of the pic, its a good concept , and try to highlight more the colors

Thank you for the replies. As far as the angle, goodness I tried several different ways. He wasn't cooperating with me LOL He never came in at the same angle and sometimes did not hover at all just landed. I wanted to get the redish shine(he has very impressive color) but all of those came out blurry :er:
I was told that in order to get the freeze of his wings and a close up that I would have to get a macro lens of maybe 105mm F2.8 but I can't afford it so I am going at this with what I have.
My settings were:
Aperture F4.2
Shutter 1/4000
ISO 400
Ex mode: manual

I am also using Capture NX2 software to edit but everything is so new that I am still learning how to use it.
I do appreciate the feedback. It really does help to get better.

great pic! what camera was that?

Last edited:
Thanks! It was a Nikon D3000.

Looks like you got your settings right, good job and excellent for being new to the hobby! The framing could improve as well as the background. :)

Thank you. Could you explain more about framing or guide me to reading material? Also at this time I can only use material back drops for the background. sadly I don't have any flowers or sorts in my yard for those pretty flower shots. Pretty much its grass and a light brown fence..ewww! With it being winter, I could not find any flowers to buy :(

there are no hard rules in framing, you want to draw the eye to the focal point of your subject. Use of space and positioning.

The bird would stand out better if the background wasn't nearly the same color ;)

I'm not being negative here, it's a great shot.

Thank you for the advice. I give it a shot :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back