1st pics for C&C

P3 Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to become better so I am asking for honest(even if it hurts) opinions.
Thank you

Trevorplayingaroundblkwht.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3677jpgMckaleupclosewebsize.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

Ok Im not a pro at all just a reg joe so here is my cc'

1. I like its candidness.
2. I think could have been awesome if you had closer crop and more level to the baby so his feet werent cut out.
3. Loses me since his head is cut off.
4. Would be nice if the bottom wasnt cut off again.

Now I cant say about exposure etc since Im still learning that myself. But those were just my general impressions. cute kids.

These all lack contrast. Try a contrast boost.

Ok Im not a pro at all just a reg joe so here is my cc'

1. I like its candidness.
2. I think could have been awesome if you had closer crop and more level to the baby so his feet werent cut out.
3. Loses me since his head is cut off.
4. Would be nice if the bottom wasnt cut off again.

Now I cant say about exposure etc since Im still learning that myself. But those were just my general impressions. cute kids.

I agree with the crops I had my 50mm on and really need to work on moving around while still shooting! lol Thanks

These all lack contrast. Try a contrast boost.

I have Hp photosmart right now (I know...don't laugh) When I try to up the contrast in this program it looks funny to me. BUT CS5 is on the way!! I do like higher contrast shots with a little over saturation. Thanks for the tip

they're all looking overexposed to me (looks like the light source was from camera left in all of these, and the left side of everything is blown out). Also, they need some composition work... not too much interesting to look at as far as that goes. They are nice photos though. Remember, in portrait photography (as well as pretty much everything else), the eyes are key. Always focus on them unless you have a very valid and easy to see reason why you haven't.

The sun was setting behind me a little to the left. To fix overexposure is it best to change fstops or shutter speed or both?

The sun was setting behind me a little to the left. To fix overexposure is it best to change fstops or shutter speed or both?

I like how Bryan Peterson puts it in Understanding Exposure. He said something like, "it isn't about just getting the correct exposure, it's about getting the right creative exposure.

If you want less DoF, lower your f stop and raise the shutter speed. If you want greater DoF, raise the F stop and lower the shutter speed. If your subjects are moving a lot, you don't want to have to sacrifice shutter speed, but you still want lower DoF, lower your f-stop, keep the shutter speed, and raise your ISO, use fill flash, or continuous off camera lighting... The list goes on.

I like how Bryan Peterson puts it in Understanding Exposure. He said something like, "it isn't about just getting the correct exposure, it's about getting the right creative exposure.

If you want less DoF, lower your f stop and raise the shutter speed. If you want greater DoF, raise the F stop and lower the shutter speed. If your subjects are moving a lot, you don't want to have to sacrifice shutter speed, but you still want lower DoF, lower your f-stop, keep the shutter speed, and raise your ISO, use fill flash, or continuous off camera lighting... The list goes on.

what she said

Also, I realize the 50mm 1.8 is a sharp lens, but even so, shooting at 1.8 may be making them softer than they should be. 1, 2, and 4 look overall soft to me, and they are all shot at 1.8. Maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe not.

at f/1.8, the lens is slightly soft, and the focal plain is minute. Missing focus is very easy. I shoot at f/2.8 with very nice results.

Most reactions

Back