1st portrait with external flash

RG16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I just got my 580ex a couple weeks ago, and this weekend had a chance to go out to the falls in a nearby city and try some things out, I never shot with a flash before, well I just got into photography in general earlier this year.

Anyways I bought a pack of CTO gels and I used a 1/4 cto for this shot. Also the first couple shots I noticed I was light the rock under my model was being lit up too much, so I zoomed the flash in to 105mm. In post all I really did was bump up the exposure and added clarity to that same rock.
Let me know what you guys think, please and thank you :)

I think you did very well but I would crop in tight.
She's prettier than all that background.

Thank you, I fought with that for a while, I did crop in a bit, I wish I had a telephoto lens, all I have is a 50mm 1.4 but yes your right, thank you for the advice!

Thank you guys

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Looks great! :)

Great! I would have cropped the photo a bit, but considering you only have a 50mm, it's a legit first attempt!

Thanks guy, yea I could have moved in closer but I guess I was so concerned about the falls since that was I wanted to shoot in the first place, only when I saw it wasn't that impressive I decided to pose my girlfriend on the rock and make it a model shoot lol! I cant wait to get some more glass, got my eye on that 70-200 2.8 :D
I've cropped in a bit in LR and also warmed up the rocks in the back without affecting the tones on her.

Super cute girl. I like the tighter crop except that her feet are far different than the rest of her skin tone. Probably sounds weird I know:D

I think this crop was a bit tight (for my taste). I would like to leave some whaterfall backgroung and a 3x2 aspect ratio. Attached is what I have in mind with a quick crop.
I think the waterfall adds to the scenary of the photo, making it a bit more "magical". It also help balancing the photo better than the tight crop above. I would have moven the girl a bit more to the right in my crop, but I didn't want to put more of the greens in the frame.

Your warming of the scene works for me better than the original

Edit: I would clone out the rest of the greens in my crop as well.
These greens are what I didn't like in the initial photo.

But very good photo in general

Attachments

• 21874677905_8b3423d1b6_k3.jpg
    21874677905_8b3423d1b6_k3.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Sheesh! Hope the ladyfriend didn't know she was playing second fiddle to some rocks and falling water haha...

I liked both, but I think a crop somewhere in the middle of both these versions would be awesome. Like urahara mentioned I like the waterfall in the background too. Awesome job. I bought an external flash and have been experimenting but still have more to learn with it.

I'd call that good work for a first with flash.
Be VERY nice to your girlfriend - it's good to have your own attractive model. :D

One minor nit-pick - on the re-crop and recolour there's still some traces of blue in and around her hair. If you're going to do that it's a lot of detail work to correct properly so weigh the options carefully before you start (I personally hate working round the edges of hair).

AND by the way, welcome to the forum! :)

AND the 70-200 F2.8 is my favourite lens - worth every penny.

I try my best to be nice I'm sure its not enough though hehe.
Thank you and everyone for their positive comments I'm happy with how it turned out for thw first try, I wasnt sure at first. Also yes you're right I see the blue around her hair good call thank you!
I'd call that good work for a first with flash.
Be VERY nice to your girlfriend - it's good to have your own attractive model. :D

One minor nit-pick - on the re-crop and recolour there's still some traces of blue in and around her hair. If you're going to do that it's a lot of detail work to correct properly so weigh the options carefully before you start (I personally hate working round the edges of hair).

AND by the way, welcome to the forum! :)

AND the 70-200 F2.8 is my favourite lens - worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back