1st time using softbox in "studio" type set up.

Montanamyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi...This is my first time trying out my softbox in a studio type set up. I just used a white sheet, small softbox camera right, and reflector camera left. CC please. I honestly was just doing a bunch of trial and error. I'm not sure if there are hotspots. I have a lot of questions for my photography teacher tomorrow.
$DSC_0714.jpg
Thanks!

Not a bad 1st try. If your studio lighting and advanced studio lighting course professors are anything like mine they'll rip it apart anyway =)

C&C per req: From a lighting perspective, it's not bad; your subject is a little too close to the background and his shadow on the backdrop is a little too prominent, but that may well be a limitation of the space in which you had to work.
I don't see any hot-spots; some strong specular highlights on his left cheek and forehead, but they're not a negative. I would like to see a little more detail in his hair, especially on his right side; I think a reflector about 80 degrees camera left at subject's head height would have helped.

I'm not fond of the composition/crop of the image however. The missing bit of his left shoulder and hand seem awkward and poorly composed.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

was he holding the reflector?

angle it more from his side. itll be more dramatic and the BG will be more grey and even. If you want a white backdrop, light the backdrop too.
Example of one light from the side, limited spill on the white:
SAA_00632.jpg

not bad for a first try, not at all. Good suggestions above, I'd add that your model seemed a bit overheated, perspiration reflects ;)

Thanks Guys! I'm gonna keep working on these. I know the composition wasn't the greatest, I had limited space, and was really just trying tor work on lighting.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back