1st try at waterfalls.

Dan28607

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After seeing all of the great waterfall pictures here I thought I would give it a try! Comments and critique's are very welcome. Thanks!
gc.jpg

Thats a great shot! Love the detail and color in the moss and leaves to the right!

Nice to see how you managed to expose for long enough to show that the water is really really FLOWING ... and you did not get camera shake in the course of doing that (in all my attempts so far I did :irked: ). The "landing area" is a bit blown, but all in all I love the greens(of course, it's me, after all, and all who know me a little know that about me) and the dreamy-ness of the photo. The angular rocks are a nice counterpart to all this softness of the flowing water and the moss.

This is a first attempt at veiling? Kudos to you, brother… Well done!

As LaFoto pointed out, the image is a bit hot in spots, but not overly so. What was your shutter speed? I generally try to keep water veiling exposures under 2 seconds, so as to maintain some detail in the flow of water. Of course, it all depends on the effect you are looking for.

I keep coming back to this thread to look at this photo… I really dig the composition.

Have you considered perhaps putting a bit more pop into the yellow and red leaf tones? A tad more unsharp mask might also be useful.

This image is a wall hanger for sure.

Thanks for the comments!
DepthAfield said:
This is a first attempt at veiling? Kudos to you, brother… Well done! What was your shutter speed?

Thanks! Yes this was my first attempt at "veiling". (thanks for the terminology.) I used a 1/3 sec. exposure time.

Most reactions

Back