1st wedding next Saturday

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
So as the thread title indicates I'm shooting my first solo wedding on the 7th Jan. One of Ian's cousins is getting married and the whole thing has come together in about 4 mos (the word "shotgun" keeps getting stuck in my head :mrgreen:). The couple weren't planning on having a photographer and were just going to ask the guests to send them pictures after the fact ... so anything I do is just bonus (definately helps to take the pressure off :wink: ).

My services to them are free of charge but any prints they want will be at cost (I will be giving them full-size digital images as well). I want to use this as practice though and keep the whole thing as professional as possible so my question is this ...

Should I write a contract of sorts up for them to sign in advance stating the above terms as well as giving me rights to use the images in my portfolio, on my website and possibly in future advertising??

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

I would make it clear that in exchange for a fee you have the rights to use the images for promoting your website and business. This way they can’t come back at a later date demanding you to stop using the images.

Good luck and I know you will do a great job.

Eric

errant_star said:
My services to them are free of charge but any prints they want will be at cost (I will be giving them full-size digital images as well). I want to use this as practice though and keep the whole thing as professional as possible so my question is this ...

Should I write a contract of sorts up for them to sign in advance stating the above terms as well as giving me rights to use the images in my portfolio, on my website and possibly in future advertising??
what Airic said above ^^ ! :thumbup:

I do not see a need for another contract since they are not actually hiring you!
If you intend to promote your skills, you may want to gift (read - free of charge) them with a small album or two with the images. Throw in the CD/DVD as well.

Have fun!

Thanks for the comments Eric and Danalec! I really appreciate the advice and encouragement! :D

Danalec ... I was planning on doing a proof album and an elargement as a gift to them. I was thinking I would just do it is a surprise when I arrange to meet them with the CD.

Thanks again guys :hug::

If the people have been good and have not hassled me then I always throw in a few 8x10 prints. I do not promote my wedding photography but those that like my style and want me shoot their wedding I will but on my terms. These days I just do the shoot, post editing and give them a CD, nothing else. If they have been good about it I always make a few extra prints to show them how the images should look in case they go to a lab that does a poor job on the printing end. Oh ya, I also throw in a one song slide show these days. Its easy and fast to make and makes a big impression.

Eric

Most reactions

Back