$2,500, What to get?

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Olympus gear and I am switching over to Canon gear. So I am starting from scratch. I am pretty sure I will get a 7d through the loyalty program which leaves me with around $1,300 after tax. I will be shooting sports mostly but want to get into portraits also. What do you guys think I should go with for lens. Should I just buy the canon 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS and call it good or what. Another option I was thinking about was getting the 200 2.8 and 50 1.4. What is your guys opinion.

Sports and portraits eh - have you considered the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2? That would cut you in with a fantastic lens for both areas. It might even be worth going for a lesser camera body to get a chance at a better lens lineup.

I would love it but do you think a 7d and 70-200 I would be better or worse then a 40d and 70-200 II?

It sounds like the mkII might be out of your current budget. So as stated above, grab a 70-200 2.8 with/without IS. You won't really miss the IS shooting sports anyways. And you can always use a monopod on the sidelines. How can you use the loyalty program when coming over from Olympus?

i disagree.
get the IS version.
it makes a huge difference at the long end.
well worth the extra money.

if you go with the non-IS version, get the f/4.
it's way cheaper and it'll be a learning experience.
then you'll really appreciate the IS when you sell the f/4 for the 2.8 IS.

i disagree.
get the IS version.
it makes a huge difference at the long end.
well worth the extra money.

if you go with the non-IS version, get the f/4.
it's way cheaper and it'll be a learning experience.
then you'll really appreciate the IS when you sell the f/4 for the 2.8 IS.

I disagree, shooting sports your shutter speed is high enough, in fact I often turn IS off anyways just so I don't have to wait the split second for it to be fully functioning before taking a shot. And I would never buy the f/4 version over the f/2.8 if I were shooting high school sports. High school gyms and night football games would be horrible to shoot with an f/4 lens. In fact, its often hard to do with a 2.8 lens.

so you're shooting in high school gyms and night football games and there's enough light to use fast enough shutter speeds to not warrant IS?

Barely fast enough shutter speeds to stop motion, at that point IS is almost moot. (almost). You would definitely fall on your face shooting with an f/4 lens. Not to mention more accurate cross-type autofocus sensors when using 2.8 (and faster) lenses. Daytime outdoor sports would be fine with the f/4, but indoors would be a struggle at most poorly lit high school venues. What do you shoot high school sports with?

so you're shooting in high school gyms and night football games and there's enough light to use fast enough shutter speeds to not warrant IS?

IS doesn't stop motion it reduces camera shake. So it is not useful unless you are panning but then only the mid-section and head maybe in focus, arms and legs will be blurry.

To the op for $2500 I would get the 7D and a used 70-200 F2.8 IS( I would rather pay a little extra and have it than not) or the 200 f2.8 and 85f1.8 (I think i would probally rather this combo if you plan on shooting in gyms just because the 85 is alot faster).

It sounds like the mkII might be out of your current budget. So as stated above, grab a 70-200 2.8 with/without IS. You won't really miss the IS shooting sports anyways. And you can always use a monopod on the sidelines. How can you use the loyalty program when coming over from Olympus?

All you need is an old canon point and shoot to trade in.

To the op for $2500 I would get the 7D and a used 70-200 F2.8 IS( I would rather pay a little extra and have it than not) or the 200 f2.8 and 85f1.8 (I think i would probally rather this combo if you plan on shooting in gyms just because the 85 is alot faster).

I like the both ideas. The two primes i might go for. It will cover both indoor sports and field sports well.

I like the both ideas. The two primes i might go for. It will cover both indoor sports and field sports well.

Both of those lens are sharper than the zoom also.

Most reactions

Back