2 for critique

What do these photos want to tell us?
In both I'm not overly happy with the clear on-camera flash reflections on the "models". But then flash reflections are a pet-peeve of mine which makes me hate my own flash photos (and all flash I ever have is on-camera...).
But if putting up a doll-portrait is a good idea, I might look for "Olga's portrait"... (in my 'archives').

hmm they lacks topic and emotions. You see, every photo should tell some kind of story... If that is and object it should be geniuenly lightened or compose. the second one is better - you lost bakcground and the "cat" is surrounded by a complete darkness

The above posts have said it best. Personally "screwing around with no lucid point" may be the wrong approach. Your subjects have curious emotion. Meaning; are they happy or sad or proud or having fun or maybe all those emotions. Obviously they have cute butts, so take that into consideration. The macro will help in getting these shots. Just take a lot of different ones. I think you will have more fun if you treat these guys like real subjects as opposed to cute play things.

I would hold off on spending money on lights or a flash. A lamp behind a light white bed sheet works wonders. Practicing will not only save money; you will get the most out of your new light source because you will know how to position it. Do not forget the foamcore bounce.

Study the masters and their lighting etc..

"Foam Core bounce is opening for The Gobos here in town on friday. Joking of course. Foamcore can be had at most office supply stores. The core is made of foam. The foam is covered with super white paper. Bouncing the light off of the white provides for a very pleasing light. Plus it is durable. The cost can be in the 15 to 20 dollar range.

Interesting info... for I, too, am unhappy with the light I get from my on-camera flash, which is why I try more and more to avoid using flash light at all, but that is not always easy!

By the way, 4hourNap, I'll be putting up "Olga's portrait" in the Gallery, and for you mainly, so make sure you go and take a look (you started the doll's photos, so you are ultimately responsible...... ;))

I wouldn't recommend flash photography for this kind of studio setup. Buy a couple of desklamps. Cover the front with white paper to diffuse the light. Turn your flash off. You are too close for any flash to work well. You will be able to control the light much better with desklamps, and you won't have to guess what it's going to look like. If this is digital, set your white balance to tungsten, and if it's film, try tungsten balanced film.

My name is Pete, and I am a cheapskate.

Don't invest in foamcore stuff just yet - take a look at the big block of polystyrene foam that came with your TV, hifi, printer, whatever.

Often it is big enough to stand on its edge, and it can make a fantastic "dish reflector" for macro work and flash portraiture, especially as flash may reflect off the walls of the cavity as well as the back, thus diffusing the light even more.

Sometimes the largest face has a big hole in it. This can make a good surround-/ring-flash effect, especially if you mount the subject within the hole - you can get 4-directional soft backlight, all sorts of different effects.

Of course, I can't prove any of this waffle, it has been decades since I last did it, but maybe people could experiment and post results here?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back