#2. Has this happened to you?

mrsid99 said:
-------I still believe that a simple release form would cover the stores liability but who knows?

MrSid, I believe (know) your right. Asked about is one time after the clerk checked my photo. (But only after getting the OK) The clerk gave be the standard answer about “Looking Pro” or saying “Copyright” on the back. I push the clerk on the issue. I expanded that, I had photo taken by me that looked pro and said copyright. Final manager showed be a stock release form from Kodak. They would likely make you use their stock form.
It for CYA only IMO

Canon Fan:

I have had the same experience.

First, you can't really blame the tech. Due to all the todo about copyright they are being put in this position unwillingly.

I went into our Wal-Mart with a CD with 1-4x6 .jpg file of my grandson - selective color - holding a red heart and red roses with "Be My Valentine" written on it. I ordered 30-4x6s for him to take to kindergarten as Valentine's Day cards. The prints were made and when I went back to pick them up they refused to give me the prints - reason - "they look like they were done by a professional". My relpy - "I am a professional!"

Anyway to make a long story short they provided a "Copyright Release Form" which I filled out. They are REQUIRED BY LAW to keep it on file for five (5) years.

If they allow prints to be made and it is later determined those prints violated copyright laws the lab can be fined up to $10,000 ($10K) for that violation.

So the copyright release is a work around. Necessary evil. But at the same time it is to our, professional photographers', protection/benefit.

SUGGESTION: Do what I did. I made a business card. It's 2x3. I put three of them on a 4x6 .jpg. I took the CD with the .jpg to Wal-Mart and had them print 10-4x6s at $.29 each. I gave them one 4x6 to keep on file. The remaining 4x6s I took home and trimmed off the individual 2x3 business card. Every time I go in I include one of my cards (2x3) with the order/envelope. When the order is done I usually get my card back. (NOTE: Several times I did not get the card back. But I did get a wedding referral from one of the missing cards.) Problem solved.

The card is simple - a local landscape with "imaging by ..." and my phone number. I thought of making a card with my mug on it but this is a small town. And my mug may lose me work. The font is a script with bevel and emboss and a drop shadow. Very simple, elegant.

By the way, this method means you don't need to print a zillion cards to get a cost break. This way each card runs about $.10 and I can get reprints as needed.

The irony - the same people who gave me the hassle now print my product and my business card.

Go figure.

I know this sounds a bit dumb but it works.

Go somewhere else. If they dont realize you took these photos and are unwilling to change then go else where. Surely there is another place to do quick prints.

WOW :shock: What the hell did I start here?! :oops:

Better mood today, but very tired :roll:

Nothing more to say right now. I'll chime in again later :wink:

I'm going to Kinko's today - anyone have an example of a release form?

Most reactions

Back