2 Lens Questions; WideAngle Meaning and 50mm fd or fl

knwnasrob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright:
1. So if a lens is wide angle that means it is made with a wider field of view correct?
For Example:
Canon EF 17-40 f/4 USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens.
I have a kit lens, so the 18-55. What I am asking is this: Is the 17 point really alot wider then my kit lens at 18 because it says it is a "wide angle" lens? What about the 35mm wide angle lens?

2. I want a 50mm 1.4; I do not have the 400$ to buy a new one so I am alright getting a used manual focus one on ebay for abut 50-80$ lol. The main ones I see are the FD and FL ones, which one is a better buy?

A wide angle on an FX body may not be a wide angle for a DX body due to the cropped FOV. On a FX body the 50mm is considered a "Normal" lens, the 35 a "Wide" and less like the 14-24mm "Ultra Wide"

On a DX sensor the 18 would be considered wide, yes. Believe it or not the 1mm difference is notable.

Don't know anything about Canon gear, sorry.

FD and FL lenses can only be used on Canon manual focus cameras (AE series, F series, etc).

Canon EOS (Film and Digital) cameras use the EF autofocus mount lenses.

Oh duhh! I forgot to mention; my camera is a T2I.So does this mean there is no old manual focus 50mm I can get?

Oh duhh! I forgot to mention; my camera is a T2I.So does this mean there is no old manual focus 50mm I can get?

you cannot mount old Canon lenses, but indeed you can, with adapters, from almost every other brand, including Nikon, Pentax and most forgotten ones. With few $ or € you may buy something more than usable. If you aim at 1.4, there are many 55mm with apparently strange names (Sears, Revuenon, Porst, but also Ricoh, etc) that were more or less the same rebranded by large seller chains in the '70s (see here). Not bad, although when you read "Tomioka" prices grow up. :)

And of course all the Canon EOS Rebels can mount Canon EF-S lenses too. The EF mount launched in 1987, and the EF-S mount launched in 2003.
Co Canon currently has 2 lens mounts - the EF and the EF-S, but the EF-S lens mount cannot be used on Canon EF camera bodies.

Based on past history, Canon is a bit over due for a new lens mount design.

Nikon has used their F-mount since 1959.

A used 50mm f/1.4 lens often sell at less than $300 (I bought mine at $275) if it is still too much, just go with the f/1.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back