2 new HDRs for C&C

Cheex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1 from Thailand and 1 from Portland. I'll let you guess which is which.

black and white sub by Chodie89, on Flickr
Really debating whether or not to crop more from the bottom. Does this look dramatic or does it get lost in the bridge?? I couldn't adjust the perspective much because I was on a pier with little maneuverability.

buffet by Chodie89, on Flickr

Open for C&C! I learn so much every time I put pictures on this forum.

Good. There is an HDR subsection.

They both look pretty good. With the second, I would have shot earlier so that there would be some colour still in the sky. As it is, it's just a mass of black.

For some reason, in #2 my eye went straight to the left side of the picture and the tree sticking out. The shadows behind the fairy on the left also stood out. Everything else in the picture appears balanced except for these two things. If you can edit them out, you might have something!

great shots! I agree with the above comments but, over-all, the tonal balance in #1 is amazing and the subject in #2 is beautiful. Personally, in #1 I would have tried a shot using a fish-eye lens to give it an even more obscure feel. But that's just me :) Great shots!

Both look great. #1 i really like. I find it looks fine without a crop.

Thanks so much for the replies! I will see what I can do about that tree and those shadows when I get home. That's a great pick up Marc32.

I wish I had a fisheye, futurelight :)

Thanks for the compliment and crop comment fsquare.

Rotanimod, your comment is in no way helpful. I know there is an HDR thread but I wanted to post this here because my posting is not addressing HDR specific issues but instead a more general beginner request for critiques.

My neck is sore from trying to adjust the horizon, everything else I like though.

Man.. the sub is awesome. It is so awesome that I wish the city skyline and the bridge were not there.

What software are you using to process the HDR image? Photomatix Pro or something else?

Photomatix... but I only spend about 5% of my time in photomatix. The rest is photoshop where I use a combination of topaz adjust, onone phototools 2.6 and nik color effects 4. After that I sharpen and denoise with imagenomic.

If I could only have one program after photomatix it would be phototools 2.6. That program has everything.

I agree the processing of #1 is interesting, if a bit 'muddy', but find the USS Blueback (SS-581) out of context in the scene and somewhat lost in the clutter of the bridge and cityscape.

Last edited:
I love the sub shot. Ideally, I'd like that bridge gone, but it's there, what can ya do. It really is an amazing shot. Very dramatic work.

Most reactions

Back