2 new pics C&C always welcome, 1 with a touching story :)

cosmoepic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so braved to sleet and snow this afternoon and went out shooting, got a close up of a frozen thorn bush:

thornclose-1.jpg

nothing to spectacular but, i love the story and the next shot

so while out shooting today an older woman from down the street asked me why i was out in cold wet weather with a camera. i told her im trying to build my portfolio and this was my first time shooting in a showy area. She tells me, that she has something that might be interesting. So she takes me back in the woods about 200 feet from the houses to an old tree with a hollowed out bottom which wasn't anything to impressive, until she told me the story behind it:

"When i was younger and our children were still young and living it home we would come out here with out dog on cool nights and light bonfires. It was always so much fun, we would do marshmallows, tell stories, talk about our days, just the usual family stuff. When the kids got older, and moved out it was just me, my husband and our black lab Jackson. Years went by, Jackson got older and eventually died, and we thought the right thing to do would be to bury him in the spot where we all felt the most love around us, by our tree. I told the children of the death, and to my surprise they traveled all over the place to come back and meet here to say goodbye to our friend. We buried him right by the tree and every year since, we all get back together, light a fire in our tree and talk about our lives."

i was honestly touched by both the story and the willingness to show me such a personal thing to her and her family. After the story i ran home to grab a flower to leave for Jackson, asked permission and made my shot. She invited me to photograph her family next fall when they gather at the tree again, and ofcourse accepted. Here is the photo hopefully you all like it, but for me its such a personal and emotion filled photo.
flowertree-1.jpg

Great images and the story makes me all teary ~ so sweet.

thank you i thought the thorn one came out kinda "blah" since i was shooting one handed with an umbrella over me in the sleet but i love the other

its nice, i assume u used flash. Its come out well coz the flash hasnt blown the highlights. Nice story too. I like 1 as well, is that frost or is it some sort of insect secretion?

its frozen thorns, yes i used a moderate flash to bounce light off the inside of the tree to the flower then added alittle vignetting in PP to add to the mood of the shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back