2 pics (extreme sport)

Starskream666

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So decided to take my camera out skating today after a while of not shooting. By the time i got it out the sun had almost set, and i think it made a pretty nice background. What are your thoughts?

and heres a pic of my dog i took before i went out haha. (i know the ear is cut off and the shadow doesn't look so great in that position)

x

Last edited:
wait are you roller skating or skateboarding?

Brighter clothing. First one looks like a hole where the head should be.

What? im doing neither, he is rollerblading/skating? And brighter clothes, it wasn't a photoshoot it was hanging out at sunset.

Then hang out with people wearing brighter clothing?

Get more him and less skate park?

Ask him to look at the camera?

Do a planned photo shoot instead of just hanging out, taking a couple of snaps, and then asking for thoughts at TPF?

Shoot from a lower camera angle to include more sky, and less West Yorkshire ?

If you put little or no effort into the shots, it usually shows in the result?

Lol :)

If you put more sky in the shot it looks like he's not jumping as high?

If he was looking at the camera then he would fall?

If i got more him and less skatepark then i would be breaking the basic rule of ES photog where you need to show where hes come from and where hes going?

Lol :)

If you put more sky in the shot it looks like he's not jumping as high?

If he was looking at the camera then he would fall?

If i got more him and less skatepark then i would be breaking the basic rule of ES photog where you need to show where hes come from and where hes going?

No, if you put more sky in the photo, it looks like he's jumping higher, because you're shooting from a lower angle.

If you vary your shots, and get shots of him more pronounced in the frame, as well as shots of the skatepark in the same set of photos... You'd be fine.

While I don't necessarily agree with KmH that eye contact is a must for this kind of photo, you by the same token do not need to make excuses for everything... Which is what you did.

In my junior year of high school, my math (or MATHS if you are in the UK), my teacher had a banner that said "Excuses are the nails to build a house of failure".

I'm certainly not experienced enough to give C&C but even from an untrained and inexperienced photographer with children that skateboard I would think you would want the skateboard more visible so someone who doesn't realize that is a skateboard ramp would be able to figure that out instantly from having a skateboard more visible in the picture! The sky is pretty though!

I didn't know people still rollerbladed. The lower the angle of the shot, it will be perceived that the subject is higher. I'm not sure where you read this basic rule of es photog...

Yeah Tracy its kinda different with rollerbladers though seen as the focus would be on just their feet. Not sure what you mean by getting more of his feet in the shot? i was using a 50 and if i got any closer you wouldnt see where hes landing. And Tyler I was more just playing along to KmH's ? marks but yeah im not gonna shoot photos like I see on tumblr where you just see a skater in the sky with nothing below them or around them, if you look in skate magazines you'd never see that type of shot, its always the obstacle in the shot.

Yeah Omofo I didn't read the book on it, i just know from 8 years skating experience, seen alot of mags. If you find the book though make sure to let me know!

Oh ignore my last post if he is rollerblading....I can't make out rollerblades on my screen!

I'm not seeing the extreme sport.....

With a shot like that, all you can do is edit out some of the distracting stuff. I'd clone out or dim the lights and maybe darken the sky a little so as to throw more attention to your subject.

Most important, if you ask for C&C, accept it. Seems your defending against every comment and saying why it wouldn't work. Go try some of them. A different angle (surely this wasn't the only ramp)? You can't control his clothing but you can control your settings. Your settings or PP made the background black even though he's wearing dark jeans & black beanie. As for yet another useful response from compaq, I think he was being sarcastic. You say extreme sport most expect to see base jumping, freestyle mx, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back