TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rip it apart :)

20070818_7952.jpg

IMO, this is a situation where the final image wasn't envisioned well enough at the time of the exposure and so the exposure was wrong.

Altho the Exposure bias was high (-1.33), the skin is still well-overexposed and so any real flesh tones are lost. It wouldn't hurt at all to drop the iso and shoot at a slower shutter speed to get better color.

Image Date: 2007:08:18 19:54:12
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 50.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/3.2
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: -1.33
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

My guess is that the white of the bench against the dark sky (using matrix metering)in the low sun threw everthing off. Looking at the histogram below one can see that there is little in the middle but lots clustered at the top. I guess that I would have exposed for the skin with a spot meter and let the rest fall where it will. The dark dress will always be a problem because it needs much more light to show up the detail.

2girlsmc1.jpg

The final image is extended too far away from the actual points of interest - the young women - there is lots of bench and trees that don't contribute and actually detract from the attractive, almost-similar poses. I would have cropped much closer to keep the viewer on the points of interest with a much tighter composition.
200708187952bbbh1.jpg

Thank you :)

I like the crop version a lot more. The exposure bias was so hi because I was using a 430ex into an umbrella on camera left via pc sync so the camera couldn't find the exposure with that. In lightroom I did bump the exposure a little higher, probably too much.

Most reactions

Back