2 recent photos of mine - a buzzard and a crow

Simonch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As per the title,

A couple of outings recently with my 70-300 lens, just hand holding the camera! I'm desperate for a 50-500 but my budget dictates that this isn't an option at present!

Cheers,

Si
51838322483_5f210a665b_k.jpg
51830732015_44ce61238f_k.jpg

jeffashman

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
A nice couple of shots! I like the Black Bird flying along the beach!

If you are talking about the Sigma 50-500, it's a nice lens, but you'll need a limber and a couple of horses to drag it around... :chuncky: I now carry a Tamron 18-400 on the camera, because it is light weight, and have the Sigma on my back, and will switch lenses once I'm at a location where I want to use it. If you look at a site like mpb.com, you can often find a nice discount on decent gear.

OP
Simonch

Simonch

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
A nice couple of shots! I like the Black Bird flying along the beach!

If you are talking about the Sigma 50-500, it's a nice lens, but you'll need a limber and a couple of horses to drag it around... :chuncky: I now carry a Tamron 18-400 on the camera, because it is light weight, and have the Sigma on my back, and will switch lenses once I'm at a location where I want to use it. If you look at a site like mpb.com, you can often find a nice discount on decent gear.
I hadn't seen that lens before!! It's MPB I'm looking at. If I went for the 18-400 I could trade in my 70-300 and my 18-140... How do you rate it as an all rounder? thats a great range on it

jeffashman

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hadn't seen that lens before!! It's MPB I'm looking at. If I went for the 18-400 I could trade in my 70-300 and my 18-140... How do you rate it as an all rounder? thats a great range on it
It is my primary lens for all occasions, handling long telephoto down to pseudo-macro. At the 300mm-400mm range, the focus can start to get a little soft, but it is still a good lens. I got the Sigma 50-500mm originally to replace my stock 75mm-300mm, but found it to be on the heavy side, and so it was a challenge for me to use it for bird-in-flight shots. The Tamron turned out to be a good choice for me due to its light weight and focal range. Of course, there are a lot of factors that to into a photo, so not just the lens. Overall, I like the Tamron. I think at least one other person on here has that lens as well. If you can find a place near you that lets you try out lenses, that is ideal, so you can get an actual feel for it.

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Most of my wildlife shots are using a 600mm lens.....

MitchP

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Most of my wildlife shots are using a 600mm lens.....
Hey Jeff, you mean a 600mm prime lens, right? There was a noticeable improvement when I switched to a prime telephoto lens.

K9Kirk

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
There's no substitute for extra zoom. I use the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD for $900 and although a bit heavy at 4.3 lbs., I would never go back to anything less. The 150-600 mm range covers everything in my birding photography and getting in closer means more detail and isn't more detail what we strive for? Personally, I think the pros outweigh the cons, the proof is in the pudding. Rent a 600 mm of any brand and compare your pics, see which you like better. :wink-6: GL with whatever you choose.

OP
Simonch

Simonch

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks all!! I like to have a decent range! my kids are young and the majority of my photography has them in tow so it is nice to be able to switch from shooting a portrait to snapping a bird! I think the 50-500 is the lens for me based on some reviews I read last night, i'd keep my 70-300 also!

K9Kirk

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks all!! I like to have a decent range! my kids are young and the majority of my photography has them in tow so it is nice to be able to switch from shooting a portrait to snapping a bird! I think the 50-500 is the lens for me based on some reviews I read last night, i'd keep my 70-300 also!
That is a nice, wide range and if the glass is good, you can always crop in more and hold the sharpness in a pic.

davholla

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
There's no substitute for extra zoom. I use the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD for $900 and although a bit heavy at 4.3 lbs., I would never go back to anything less. The 150-600 mm range covers everything in my birding photography and getting in closer means more detail and isn't more detail what we strive for? Personally, I think the pros outweigh the cons, the proof is in the pudding. Rent a 600 mm of any brand and compare your pics, see which you like better. :wink-6: GL with whatever you choose.
I agree I would really like an 800+ lens but I can't really justify it.
If I had the money a Canon 400m f2.8 or f4 and use teleconverters to get to 800mm

Most reactions