2 self portraits

JimmyAtlantis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These were shot RAW and are completely unedited except for the sizing. I know I need to shave so don't mention it. :p I don't have much to work with for lighting. I threw a white sheet over the sliding glass door, used the catch card on my flash for my right side and held a piece of glossy photo paper next to my face in my left hand in number 1. Number 2 I used my diffuser on my flash bounced off the ceiling. How'd they turn out?

399880633_34112a8dce_o.jpg

399880634_bcc5e7a85c_o.jpg

The lighting is good, I'd like to see a bit more contrast though. The could be a bit sharper but sometimes it's wise not to sharpen close ups of people's faces, if you know what I mean. ;)

Nice sharp shots but pretty flat lighting - very little shadow in the image. I found it hard to use my flash gun. Am considering strobes.....

Do you shoot Canon or Nikon? If you've got a D70,D80, or D200, you can set your flash off to the side and fire it remotely. It will give your portriats more depth and interesting lighting.

Do you shoot Canon or Nikon? If you've got a D70,D80, or D200, you can set your flash off to the side and fire it remotely. It will give your portriats more depth and interesting lighting.

I use Canon. The best I can do is get an off camera cord or get another 580EX to use as a slave. I'm considering the flash because multiple flashed never hurt anybody.

72 views, 2 conflicting critiques and 1 person wondering what equipment I use. Anybody else care to share thier feelings?

Weak. Well, thanks anyway. :meh:

72 views, 2 conflicting critiques and 1 person wondering what equipment I use. Anybody else care to share thier feelings?
Yeah, I think you need to shave.

Okay, just kidding. Anyway, to my eye, you need more interesting lighting. Those tight-cropped shots are not all that forgiving, so the lighting is even more critical than it otherwise might be.

The second shot is the one I prefer of the two, mostly due to the lighting/shadows.

JD

Most reactions

Back