2 shots of the same lighthouse - comment on crop?

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

just took these pics this morning. Basically SOOC. Debating which one to spend more time editing. Thoughts on which crop looks better? I'm torn. I like how #1 fills up more of the image, but I like #2 as an overall picture more. Anyways - appreciate your comments! If you wanna do other C&C's on them too that's cool. Thanks for looking.

$lighthouse&gloucester 007 LQ.jpg
$lighthouse&gloucester 009 LQ.jpg

I don't know I like them both equally, I'ts better to just have you main focus cropped closer, but the scenery in front of the lighthouse is pretty itself, so idk I'm torn lol

I don't know I like them both equally, I'ts better to just have you main focus cropped closer, but the scenery in front of the lighthouse is pretty itself, so idk I'm torn lol

It's like youre reading my mind. I agree 100% with this, which is why I'm having such a tough time deciding!!! Glad to see I'm not the only one! Haha

Let me know if this ones any better...

$lighthouse&gloucester 004 LQ.jpg

I almost like that one the best actually and yeah the first are hard to choose lol

These are all perfectly reasonable compositions. Yes, moving the horizon to a 1/3 line is traditional, and tends to tell us what's important - land, or sky?

They feel flat, even though they are not, and I think it's because the lighthouse is not tonally separated from the sky very much. I have no handy solutions for this.

Thanks for the input all.

I would go with the more distant landscape orientation because there is little appealing detail to the lighthouse. Wait for a light fog to roll in and if the lighthouse is lit, you'd have a real winner. ;)

Most reactions

Back