pm63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase Nikon's HB-45 lens hood to give my 18-55 some protection. However, I see that at Jessops it is £11 ($22 approx.), and another half of that for postage... is this a normal price for a lens hood? On eBay they are only £5 cheaper including postage, still £10, and when I look at other, more complex hoods such as petal ones, they seem to retail at £20.

This seems a tremendous sum to pay for what is, let's not kid ourselves, a block of plastic. I knew photography was expensive and arguably overpriced but this seems to be a joke.

Anyone know where I can get it for cheaper, or will I have to pay £10 for it? A lot of money when you consider it's a block of plastic.

Sounds like a bargain to me...

See THIS and THIS.

What!? That is insane. For the price of the Canon one, you can almost get a brand-new DSLR!

I'd like to think that there is some sort of good reason for these stupidly priced pieces of plastic other than camera manufacturers trying to rip us off, but I'm struggling to find one.

Well, in the case of the Canon hood I linked. It's made to fit the 300mm F2.8 L IS lens...which is $4100 (including the hood). So the only time that some one would buy the hood separately, would be when theirs is broken...So it would be a very low production quantity...which, of course, makes the price a lot higher.

You will find this price disparity in many things. You can look at the price for a Ferrari steering wheel...and for the same price, you could probably buy a new Hyundai.

if you know someone with an iron lathe..
i just recently broke a metal hood for my 85/1.4 - my dad is in the process of making me a chrome finished one.
to hell with white. i want chrome.

if you know someone with an iron lathe..
i just recently broke a metal hood for my 85/1.4 - my dad is in the process of making me a chrome finished one.
to hell with white. i want chrome.

And the interior will be black I hope. Better yet, line it with velvet material. :lmao:

Sounds like a bargain to me...

I agree.. $20 doesn't get you very far these days... A good dinner?

A hood for $20 is a bargain in my book. Typical Leica hoods are $135-$200+ each but they are at least made of metal. The Canon 50mm 1.4 hood is $26 for cheap plastic. There are hoods (rubber expandable works pretty well) that screw onto the filter threads.... you might find a handful on ebay real cheap.

Most reactions

Back